Powder Coating - Ouality?

That looks like glass !

As for 2k paint - I bought my lacquer off eBay easy enough, but bear in mind it contains cyanide so a normal mask will only stop the particulates not the vapour and unless it’s super ventilated your going to be with the fairies in no time at all and too much could see you having a date with big man upstairs.

Yeah 2k is available from paint suppliers but manufacturers are banned from using it.

I'm about to wet paint my Cinder Cone real soon as I can't get a close match in powder. It's likely I'll be using acrylic paint from my paint supplier. I've bought a gun & got a compressor I can use, even found the paint I want to use.

Re:

Looks a bit orange peel to me. We have powder coat and cerakote done on lots of parts. That looks like a poor surface or contamination to me.

Cerakote is great for items that need to fit back together like stems, brakes components, seat posts etc as the coating is very thin. Its a balistic coating, it also uses no heat to cure in one form, yet is basically as good as powder.

Who does your Cerakote? That's the kind of ammunition grade ceramic coating isn't it?
Is it cost effective on hobby bike parts?

Cerakote should cost no more or even less than powder. The basic grade requires no baking. Prep is basically the same, but substrates need to be more controlled. The balistic grade ( also used in manifold, exhausts etc, is much more heat resistant) is baked and will take temps far in excess of powder.

I use mark at high caliber coating in Suffolk.

The advantage is that items like seat posts can be done and still fit as the coating is very thin in comparison to powder.

minor_LEGEND":3bjo700b said:
I've had 3 frames done in last few years, always a stunning job. One was stripped & re-coated twice I think as they weren't happy.

PCL in Bridgwater (Somerset)
Aye well there's the difference. I'm surprised mine was sent out the door in that state. I was feeling guilty that I hadn't looked at it properly, but jesus, someone there should have first.

Back