Posting bikes? help please

Re:

thanks for that, don’t disagree with what was said, I wrapped the tubes in cardboard tapped them, had foam tubes in there, large bubble wrap but still got scratched albeit it very slightly. Even being 22 year old bicycle that was not sold as mint (and collection only) the buyer was not happy, - I have just polished out the 2 small scratches with T cut. Sadly in returning the buyer did not wrap the seat tube, cassette was straight against it and now scratched through to the bare metal and dented where the box looks to have been on its side and weight put on it. On the way back to me holes now in both sides of the box, headset and brake parts missing, and in his opinion all my responsibility!

I was asking about experiences of claims, anybody know how they tend to pan out?

Re: Re:

bluetomgold":35i8we71 said:
M-Power":35i8we71 said:
Yeah it takes a 1/2 hour to do all that

Sounds a bit optimistic to me.

Agree with the rest though. :)

Yeah, il fess up....best part of a bl00dy hour but still better than endless carefully crafted legalistic emails, hours of Google research, calls to various orgs etc who try to fob you off and don't give a damn.

Sorry to hear about that OP but they were negligent retuning the goods and should have any claim adjusted to take this into account.

Get bike box from Halfrauds

Put bike on work stand, remove wheels and pedals.

Let air out of tyres, zip tie wheels (cassette inboard) to frame with material on all contact points. Remove q/r and place in padded envelope along with other small parts. Zip tie cranks into a comfortable position.

Remove forks, secure headset parts, zip tie to frame with material on all contact points.

Zip tie bars to frame where it is most comfortable without stress on the cabling. Make sure quill is not sticking out if its an older bike.

Utilize existing handles on the box and any packing left from the original quality Halfords bicycle especially the dropout spacers that prevent the frame from getting squished.

Place in bike box and cut box down to suit, use excess cardboard as padding especially around wheels.

The rear mech will be sticking out you say, place frame in box upside down. That way the couriers slinging it around wont have a rear mech or dropout slicing through the cardboard.

Use more material to pad out sensitive areas.

Tape up box, cut tape to put in the seatpost and seat which is still on the table next to you.

Cut tape tape again to insert envelope of small parts that you've forgotten.

Mark up any packaging contain said small parts so they dont get chucked in the recycling.

Put address label on the 'top' of the parcel so it is always upright.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back