Polishing Scrapes

As others mentioned wet and dry is a option as well as buffing.

The biggest issue i encounter everytime is the removing of the clear layer.

Several times i just went from scratch with grade 180 and go up to 2000, but depending on what you do (i did once a complete vitus and all parts ..) can be very 'demanding' for the mind.

However like so many things there is a solution and after trying several products in removing the clear coat i found that believe it or not a rust remover called rustyco works magic.

And all that is left to do is buffing to amazing results.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the advice, some interesting ideas. I have ordered wet and dry and have looked at various wheels for a drill or bench gringer - some of the drill attachments are really cheap.

Busy weekend ahead perhaps. New bike is on a wall stand in the garage - might bring it down for a polist too!!!! I have expensive tastes in decoration - so my wife says.

Thanks everyone - great stuff, as always!

I have never had any luck with oven cleaner on Cinelli anodising. I even left it on all night once with little to no effect. What brand are you boys using? Mr. Muscle works like Mrs Muscleless.

I have had good results with Caustic Soda but do wear thick rubber gloves as it will burn your skin. Works well cleaning the drains too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ian Raleigh":1308vzrd said:
Richard my Cinelli stem and bars were really scratched but after removing the anodising with
wet n dry paper then working on the scratch's and polishing they came up 'mint'

unknownbike3002.jpg

pavone002.jpg

What grades of wet n dry did you work through?

Did do it wet or dry?

A quick query, is the anodising removed by polishing? I have already Autosoled the stem but i have been left with unsightly scores on the top - but they are shiny scores now! I would try a pic but i have not got access to my camera at the moemnt.

Thanks all - have a great weekend!

Autosol will only remove swirl marks but will struggle with anodising or scratches......

To remove the above you need something more abrasive that actually removes metal and in the case of Anodising either the same or something chemical that will remove the aluminium oxide, like Oven Cleaner.

Shaun

Back