Pocket friendly trail ready '93 Marin Pine Mountain

Mate that is a top job and a sweet bike for your 150 bucks! Kinda makes me wish I had gone for it myself! Brilliant effort on the cleaning up of the bits looks really nice...How are you finding the size? A classic bike with bombproof kit go out and enjoy!

Doug

Thanks guys for the +ve comments.

wookiee":2ccr6tqy said:
A classic bike with bombproof kit

Not quite bombproof Wookiee, it popped a spoke on the first ride! I guess the alloy nipples were fatigued after 20 years. I spent today rebuilding both wheels, now all done and ready for the next ride ;) Yes the frame size is spot on thanks! I am impressed with this bike, the frame is super and has a well considered mix of components, Marin clearly put much thought and engineering effort into shaving weight and optimizing performance. It really shows out on the trail where the Pine Mountain is very light and agile for a steel hardtail, easy to whip around, accelerates smartly and sharp handling. I'd say it's a notch above my Cinder Cone due to the frame, perhaps more like the quality of a Kilauea. The Marin's handling/geometry feels slightly different to the Kona, though both have a reassuring similarity being of the same era. The budget is now up to GBP200 with the wheel repairs. Well worth it. This weekend i will find out how strong this bike is :twisted:

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 685
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 685
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 685
Beautiful buid, brings back so many memories of the Pine I bought and raced in '93. Not much of it left now though.

Fantastic bike and thread, you've done a great job, just shows you what can be achieved without splashing the cash too much!

Nice bike and nice Job! I remember looking at the ads in Moutainbike Action, admiring the colour scheme, clean look and stock weight.

Gorgeous bike!
I think some amber wall tires or smaller logo’d black ones maybe, would finish it off? Personal I know :)

Latest posts

Back