Pinging spokies

I printed one to see what the fuss was about. Turns out I'm within 2% difference across the entire wheel without it. They should only be used as a comparitor on the wheel, not between wheels, but to much has been made of having a specific tension when really it's different between every wheel.

Give all your spokes a 1/2 turn then back off a tad to take any wind out.

I printed one to see what the fuss was about. Turns out I'm within 2% difference across the entire wheel without it. They should only be used as a comparitor on the wheel, not between wheels, but to much has been made of having a specific tension when really it's different between every wheel.

Give all your spokes a 1/2 turn then back off a tad to take any wind out.

🤔 .... I was going to Like / Agree with that, but since these are Playmobil wheels and not man-sized proper wheels, probably even 1/4 - 1/3 may make the difference. Most new wheels need time to settle on a few rides and a few tweaks after.

On really cheap wheels, especially Chinese ones, they will not bother making sure each spoke is reasonably tight and balanced.

If I'm going to earn an angry emoticon I may as well do it right :p🤔

Grab a pair of spokes with some thick gloves on and squeeze them together.....then grab opposite side pairs through the wheel and squeeze them together. That will remove most of the pent up tension your suffering from! 😊

Also check the spokes laced outboard of the hub have been pressed over the flange...a thumb is enough....it helps stop rubbing up against each other.....😉

If that's ok....then probably a pants build of varying spoke tensions which will gradually come loose or.....the rim was bent from new and the spoke tensions are all over the shop to pull it straight.....same effect.

I didn't dare opening this thread for the sheer ridicule that I knew would ensue

Woz didn't disappoint 😘 I shall read the various bits of actual good advice tomorrow and give it a go.

And ignore the naysayers.

Back