Hi I've bought some 20 inch wheelsies for my minivelo and they go

Ping
Ping
Ping
Pint
Pint
Ping

The Pint is for me

As I am a literally gorilla weight wise it's probably a hard call to get kids wheels that fit, which has led me to the realisation that you need to have fatter kids

If not willing to comply with my demands

Could I please be told whether noisy spokes is primarily a sign of of too loose or too tight spikes (spokes)

Mind you my cheap non Chinese wheels don't do this

But please let's not have a go at the Chinese until we get a discount

Last edited:
Pinging on first use, is usually the spokes un twisting from crude assembly tensioning practices. You probably need to check them over.
Aye they're crudely assembled by a machine I China. The other ones are too but better. Serves me right. They did the classic pinging which all my wheels do the first time I ride and then settle, but the wheelset from China wouldn't stop. The other one did stop but they're a mixed far Eastern set and don't look as good.

I'll take em to the LBS then or perhaps give it a go myself if I feel confident. Its almost as if they ping off one another and are too tight.

As the wheel rotates under load, the tension varies greatly from the static setting. I lubricate the spoke nipples on assembly and then during tensioning, I load the wheel to unwind the spokes until it's finally tensioned. Never had a spoke break nor loosen. A trick taught to me by Frank Herety.

There are two spots from which the noise may come.
The nipple where it twists against the rim as it unwinds and the out cross where the spokes slide together.
If they've kept doing it my moneys on the spokes needing tightening and setting.

The noise seems to be specifically coming from where the spokes cross. I can imitate the noise by hand poking the spokes. It has remained for 80 km which I think is a bit much

Back