Pics up! '91 Kona Lava Dome (almost certainly...)

elPedro666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all, my first build post :cool: Although far from my first build, so I'll have to get round to some more eventually...

No pics until later tonight, I'll edit the title then.

Quick background

This all started as a way to clear the shelves and pass something nice on to a mate for a good price, he's subsequently found something else (off me, so no worries - I'll put that thread up eventually too ;)) so I just sort of carried on as I'd got *quite* attached to it :oops:

The exciting part now is that it's in the three-way shoot out for the love of Martin's good lady! :LOL:

...and if it doesn't win I'll be keeping it right up until my missus actually has the scissors in her hand... :shock:

It's such a charismatic little thing, even just as a frame, but especially sat on my balcony in the sun, definitely a bike you could fall for :shock:

Spec

There is lots of basic but nice ally stuff, all polished to a matt silver, so I'll just list that as 'silver', keep it simples :p It's mostly older Shimano & I just haven't got the numbers to hand!

Frame:
Almost certainly a '91 Lava Dome, repainted (not by me) red, over what looks like the original white. Possible it my be Cinder Cone, but I don't think so. Have to check the catalogues, but then the white may not be original either... :roll:
More importantly, bar some chippage to the red (deliberated over a re-spray but it really isn't bad enough to bother me, and it's definitely intended as a rider) it all looks in fine fettle.

Fork:
P2, what else? :)

Headset:
Not an impact, but almost identical
Stem:
Velocity - again, what else? :LOL:
Handlebar:
Silver (HF?)
Grips:
Red/black Yeti dual compound
Barends:
Silver

Brakes:
Nice silver Vs
Brake Pads:
Yes, 4 :eek:
Brake Cables:
Red Clarkes super-bendy (I love how easy these are to fit and they don't affect the steering like some can)
Brake Levers:
Silver V

Shifters:
STX-RC 8speed
Front Derailleur:
n/a - 1x8 :cool:
Rear Derailleur:
STX-RC Special Edition (sexy)
Derailleur Cables:
Shimano SIS
Cassette:
HG50ish 12-28 8sp
Chain:
Sram PC951
Cranks:
Silver Shimano 170mm 110 (poss LX, but no promises)
Crank Bolts:
8mm allen with their own seal, you know the sort...
Chainring:
Shimano SG(?) 36t
Chainring bolts:
5, silver
Bottom Bracket:
UN5* (probably 53) 68x113
Pedals:
Currently on red Wellgo V8s, but not settled yet, missed some lovely Onzas a while back & still gutted :(

Hub Skewers:
Lovely shiny silver Shimano last-forever-and-still-stay-super-shiny ones...
Rims:
Mavic X221, silver
Front Hub:
Kona Java the Hub (really nice, dead chuffed to find this!), black
Rear hub: Shimano LX parallax, black
Nipples:
Silver, need to check!
Spokes:
Silver, need to check!
Tyres:
Currently on Onza PorcII's, kevlar, blackwall, but considering some skinwalls...
Tubes:
Nu-track

Saddle:
Currently SDG grey/white/red, but thinking it looks a bit modern so possibly a flite or a lady-saddle if Mrs. Martin favours it! Going to try a brown Spoon too...
Seatpost:
Kalloy (I assume) silver
Seatpost Binder:
Black allen bolt

Weight:
Good question, I'd hope 26ish, but will find out if I get an early enough finish to whiz up the lbs!

Impressions

Coming soon!
Currently I can just say it looks really sweet :cool:

Pics

Coming soon!

Guess that's all I can do sat in a truck in a lay-by in Shropshire! Can't wait to get out for a little spin, see how it all fits together, I've been a fan of Konas for 20years without ever having ridden one, so this is pretty exciting :cool: I even had the classic 'designed by Joe Murray' poster with the long headtubes and sloping toptubes in my bedroom, and just thought (as a tenish year old) that the engineering made perfect sense.

Hope it's as much fun as I've imagined for all these years :shock:
No pressure then!

All comments, suggestions (& valuations/offers, as I really can't keep it long - it's in the lounge of our one-bed :oops:) much appreciated :cool:

And I know you're all going to want pics, soon as I can, promise! ;)

Hope you like it (despite the non-period correctness :p)!

Pete

At last :roll:
Had a couple of rides now & totally falling for it... :oops:

DSC00137.jpg

SDC11337.jpg

SDC11352.jpg

SDC11338.jpg

SDC11351.jpg

SDC11341.jpg

SDC11342.jpg

SDC11343.jpg

SDC11346.jpg

Kone Velocity stem stickers

I have got some decals for your velocity stem if you want them, they're going for the price of the postage. Let me know if you're interested. I got them from Gil but decided to go for an aheadset/stem combo with a nice Thomson stem.

Re: Kone Velocity stem stickers

Stigheed":2c9j56k9 said:
I have got some decals for your velocity stem if you want them, they're going for the price of the postage. Let me know if you're interested. I got them from Gil but decided to go for an aheadset/stem combo with a nice Thomson stem.

Cheers Stig, that's most kind!
I'll send you a PM now...

Kona

That has got to have a frame and matching fork re coat and a few better parts, will look and ride superbly.
What is it 16 or 17inch?

17" centre to top, just having a bit of a refit before it's off to it's new home :cry: :cry: :cry:

Seems like an excellent home for it though, so not too sad :D

Really like the matching stem & forks thing, with contrasting frame. Can't honestly think what I could upgrade that would make any real difference, without going mad on a weight saving spree (actually the bar-ends are heavy, but a lovely shape... :oops:).

Goes, stops, shifts spot on - really really pleased for the budget :cool:

Now I'm kinda hooked on it but need an 18 or 19"... :oops: :LOL:

Back