Pete Matthews handmade pianni wheels with hope hubs.

ma9n3t":1i73zkn1 said:
dbmtb":1i73zkn1 said:
ma9n3t":1i73zkn1 said:
Hope ti-glide hubs slotted for bladed spokes is dangerous combo.

The hubs for slotted and radial spokes had bigger diameter flanges IIRC.

Never had Hope Ti Glide for a screw on block, but in the picture it seems that there are grooves running along the drive side flange spoke holes next to the freewheel thread (excuse my ignorance, but knowing that these hubs are "glued" together and that epoxy is not the most durable material in the long run...). Tell me that the slotting along the drive side flange is a factory design... and I will tell you the reason why they were cracking.

My comments have nothing to do with Pete Matthews wheel building and everything to do with Hope Ti Glide hubs.

I know someone who have worked in a prominent bike shop selling so many of these hubs and they were coming back for a warranty replacement/repair at the same rate.

OK can we please now stop this. I have attached a photo of the hub in response to this. Please note two things. Yes the Hubs do have a factory design groove in them. The pictures clearly show this, they are there to assist putting the spokes in. You will also note that the screw on section is part of the flange, a big lump of metal in total. the diagram here will help to confirm this, http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/ ... earhub.pdf
This was not the case with the later cassette hubs as the screw on metal section was removed to accomodate the new style cassettes. They are obviously much weaker.

The second thing to note is that the hubs don't have any cracks!!! I cant make that any clearer than with these photos.

Now in the interests of common sense, once again these are 20 year old wheels, there are never any guarantees that is why they are cheap and that is why I have posted so many large pictures. I too have had a Hope Ti hup flange crack and wouldn't sell anything that I thought was defective, that hub by the way was a cassette and on a mountain bike being ridden by a 17 stone man and it took it 20 years to fail. I also have a pair of Pete Matthews wheels with hope hubs on a road bike, they are almost 20 years old and faultless.

now unless I somehow have annoyed someone out there without knowing it can you give me a break.

In fact I if anyone wants these wheels let me know before the weekend as I am very happy to keep them repair them and use them as a second pair on my bike. I was just trying to spread some rare bits around the community.

Attachments

• Hub.gif
    Hub.gif
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,211
Keep the wheels are ride them for another 20 years, some people just don't know a bargain when they see it. Keep them, repair them and enjoy riding them.

lm1065":w108wwq8 said:
Keep the wheels are ride them for another 20 years, some people just don't know a bargain when they see it. Keep them, repair them and enjoy riding them.

Thanks, its very tempting but I can only shove one pair of wheels on my bike at once. Thanks for the support was starting to wonder why I had bothered.

Would snap these up in a second if they were silver (awful reason but I want the colour scheme to match on teh tourer i'm building)

Also as it is a freewheel hub, would the OLN be 126mm? You've said 130mm so I trust it is, I just usually see 126mm hubs with freewheels

This is a bargain people!

Latest posts

Back