Bottle mounts on the downtube and seat tube
Crudcatcher mounts on the downtube

Weight exactly 2kg
Head tube for 1" headset and measures 4 3/4"
Seat Tube 19.5" c-t
Top Tube 22" c-t

Seat post 26.6
Chainstays have 135mm spacing
Clearance for 2 inch tyres (but only just!)

The jury is still out on when this thing was built, apparently Pennine lost all their frame records from before 2000 in a fire. I guess it could be anytime from 1994, but the serial number suggests 1998 which is weird considering the above specs.

Finding a suitable seat post has been another saga. My vernier calipers had the seat tube at 26.8mm and I bought a lovely cromoly Tioga T bone from a member on here. Sadly it didn't fit, so I re-measured and went for a 26.4mm post which also didn't fit :rolleyes:

Turns out the seat tube is slightly ovalised, 26.4 in one direction, 26.8 in the other. What actually fits is 26.6, only I can't find a nice one. So for now I've fitted a £10 Ergotec, I'm gutted as the steel Tioga would have been a perfect match for the cromoly bullmoose. 😒

View attachment 734780
I have one of those Tioga posts in 26.6 mm - It was on my Ricter 8.0 that turned out to actually be a Corrado. When I switched all the parts to my actual Richter 8.0 frame I had to find a 27.0 to replace it (which took many years). I kep the 26.6 because I love those seatposts and if I got another 26.6 frame I'd be keen to use it. I'll think about whether I can part with it - let me know if you want it and I'll look for where I stashed it.

It was new when I bought it and It didnt get a lot of use.

IMG_1114.JPG

The decals might be a little tattier now though from storage. I'll check.

Got this together enough so I can actually ride it.

Some may question my component choices (modern parts, 1x drivetrain, tiagra road shifters and rear mech etc) but it came down to what bits I had spare and what bits I could pick up at a good price. The spec will undoubtably change, starting with the tyres and seatpost.

I wasn't sure what retro groupset to go with, which is another reason I went modern. If I'm honest I'm getting a bit bored of the same old Shimano stuff.

Anyway here's some pictures. I've only been round the block but it rides nice.

IMG20230501194802.jpg
IMG20230501194731.jpg
IMG20230501170342.jpg
IMG20230501194834.jpg
IMG20230501194900.jpg IMG20230501194918.jpg

I've swapped out the saddle and post and lost a good chunk of weight in the process. The seatpost is 25.4 so I've had to use a shim.

IMG20230505203234.jpg

This build is getting better and better

I might be about to reverse that trend...

The geometry isn't a million miles away from my gravel bike. So I thought it might be a good contender for a gravel conversion. To raise the front end I bought a Velo Orange Cigne stem. It's weird, I've never had a stem that's taller than the head tube!

Looks a bit ridiculous :LOL:

IMG20230522164923.jpg

I thought it looked quite cool on the velo blog though?

velo.JPG

Thoughts? I also have a Surly corner bar so won't need to change the brakes/shifters etc.

Back