Pennine MTB

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I recently bought this lovely Pennine frame from @retrobikeguy.

I've been looking for a lugged frame for a while and this seems to fit the bill nicely. As an added bonus I had some spare threadless Orange F7 forks that match the red paint really well. I'm still deciding on how to build it up but I have some nice Mavic/Shimano/Hope wheels which I'll probably use.

I'm also wondering about some Nitto Bullmoose bars for the cockpit. What's do people think? Do they work with this frame? I'm not sure 🤔

I plan to ride it so will probably opt for longer and higher bars than would be correct for the period.

Anyway thoughts, comments and suggestions gratefully received. I know little about Pennine so have no idea what components would have originally been specified.

IMG20230415144555.jpg

This is looking lovely. I’m a big fan of Pennine bikes, a rebuild of one was amongst the first of my projects years ago as it was a brand I had always wanted to own but couldn’t afford. Now mostly hangs up as others have taken over but still one of my favourites. Very very jealous that you found a mountain frame albeit thankfully too small for me or I would be sat here working out how to persuade you to sell it.

Attachments

• C9D6B1DC-A0A5-41B2-B700-B14B5B5AB646.jpeg
    C9D6B1DC-A0A5-41B2-B700-B14B5B5AB646.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 10
I think the tyres will need to go. They came with the wheels and I don't really like them, not a fan of the big logos. There's also a clearance issue at the rear. The Billy Bonkers measure around 2 inches wide so I think I'll need something around 1.75 inches which seriously limits my options.

I also think black tyres would suit the frame better than tan.

IMG20230428204003.jpg

Finding a suitable seat post has been another saga. My vernier calipers had the seat tube at 26.8mm and I bought a lovely cromoly Tioga T bone from a member on here. Sadly it didn't fit, so I re-measured and went for a 26.4mm post which also didn't fit :rolleyes:

Turns out the seat tube is slightly ovalised, 26.4 in one direction, 26.8 in the other. What actually fits is 26.6, only I can't find a nice one. So for now I've fitted a £10 Ergotec, I'm gutted as the steel Tioga would have been a perfect match for the cromoly bullmoose. 😒

18E89631-4431-46DE-8C4D-6D991D109FDE.jpg

Back