Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash

Re:

Don't be an "Amber Gambler" you fools. Is it time to reinstate the Tufty club or maybe even the Green Cross Code Man?

This is the 3rd woman killed in London by stepping out into the path of a cyclist and other traffic, of recent. I think there needs to be a serious concerted national programme of re-education of all road users, particularly of those on foot.

The high profile prosecution in the Briggs vs Alliston case represents a sea change in the way cyclists are now viewed and negatively represented in the media. A lady in her 60s was killed stepping into the path of a cyclist (injured) on a section of the RideLondon event. Following this third death yesterday evening, the 'cyclist' involved was arrested at the scene but on charges unrelated to the collision incident. But the way it was reported was very loaded and leading (even misleading) and very much a mis-representation of cyclists as a whole.

Oxford Street, where it happened, is a little slice of hell. It's virtually a narrow cramped mile-long shopping arcade that's furiously busy with shoppers and commuters barging along the pavements and stepping randomly into its two lanes filled with black cabs and the 'red wall' of London buses. Every few hundred yards, the street is bisected with side streets of traffic leaping across the main drag. It's a health and safety nightmare gone bad. Many people (pedestrians and cyclists) have been hit by the numerous buses on it but generally these incidents are under reported.

What strikes me now is that there has been a mood change since the Briggs vs Alliston case and a shift in attitude towards cyclists. You can almost see it in the eyes of people who defiantly step out in front of you, almost willing you to crash into them, like they now know the law and public opinion is on their side. I really worry now.

Attachments

• tufty club.jpg
    tufty club.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 932
Re:

I find it interesting that it seems women are much more likely than either men or children to be the cause of these incidents - particularly as a middle aged female pedestrian collided with me a few years ago when I regularly commuted through the city.

It was 100% her fault - the "red man" was showing, the traffic lights had gone green for me turning right across a busy junction, and she managed to walk into the end of my handlebar (she was fortunate I had longish bar ends on which spead the impact a bit - she still ended up on the ground.)

Of course I felt bad about having injured someone, even if it was only bruising, but she clearly hadn't looked properly before crossing and had stupidly assumed that a cyclist would be slow moving. I think this is a common mistake made by pedestrians - I was moving a whole lot faster at that point than any of the rest of the traffic, as I had been ready for the green light and was through the junction before the surrounding drivers had got their handbrakes off etc.

Bikes can move quickly, don't step in front of one if you don't want to get hurt!

The media outrage about deaths from cyclists is nasty and laughable considering the number of pedestrians killed by cars (around 400) each year.

But of course that doesn't sell the Daily Mail.

...which I must say is most marvellously absorbent at the bottom of my ferrets' cage.

Re:

Its gonna be a great new way to raise more tax. Media ramps up anti cyclist sentiment. Cyclists suddenly become the new face of subversive street terror. We must be identified, licensed, bikes inspected and licensed annually, helmets compulsory and hand over a few more hundred pa to be pi$$ed away but not on segregated bike lanes.....which would actually be useful.

Re:

Can't have people enjoying something for nothing now with their own independent means of transport, going where their whim takes them.

Re:

I was walking briskly along Ox St and passed this incident not realising what had happened at the time. There were ~ 100 plus tourists taking pics and gawping at the emergency services at work. Saw a black cab u-turn ~ 5ft onto the lowered pavement nearly clipping someone on their phone to escape the impending road block. City life is nuts, thats just how it is :shock:

Re:

Oxford Street – all the way from Tottenham Court Rd and into Bond Street to Marble Arch – is a regular slice of dystopia at the best of times with the mix of crowds, buses and black cabs. Have avoided it for years now. Mind you, most of London seems over-subscribed and too hectic to enjoy. When I first rocked up in London in '97, there was still a bit of magic and wonder to be had. Now it's just an insane disorganised mess of development and go-getting. It's impossible to bumble about at leisure now without incurring the impatient wrath of someone now that most people expect 'instant' having grown up with smart phones and social media. The repressed rage of daily life throughout London feels like it could blow any time. After the explosion on the tube this morning, I think it's time to get back on the bike and give commuting by public transport a rest for a while – until I've had enough of hacking across London by bike. I think it's time to reassess life. I'm really looking forward to getting out of it for a few days when I go out West to the RHS Malvern Autumn show next weekend.

Re:

Yeah....its become like a super hive of angry hornets. To survive in an environment like that you 'have' to adapt and change. I love & hate it but its changed me. In my business the modern gen have become so rude, selfish and intollerant of others. Its strange really, people were far happier to get along with others even 5yrs ago. They just dont communicate with each other. Once i drive past South Mimms....the blood pressure starts to plummet...Just hope i can live long enough to retire.

Back