E-bike cyclist cleared

Re:

Theres too many people who are glued to their mobiles who wander into the road without a seconds thought . I've nearly hit several - sometimes i'm not sure how i've missed them and that's whether i'm on my ebike or road bike. I presume a few have already been killed by motor vehicles. If you can't put your phone down for a minute you can't complain. I recognize in this case a mobile was not involved.

Aye - part of my commute is on mixed use riverside paths & folks on mobiles or with headphones need to be watched like a hawk. Balance that against cyclists blinding with zillion lumen lights or fiddling with something on their cockpit & not watching watching where they're going.

Is he not facing charges for speeding or riding a derestricted bike without the necessaries? The outcome may have been different if he'd been at 20mph or even 15mph

I don't quite get it, I assume that is because some information is missing.

So the chap is riding an uninsured, unlicensed motorbike at 30+ mph in a 20mph zone. Hit's somebody in the road and kills them.
Gets off because it looks like a bicycle ?

What am i missing here ?

There is no wonder car drivers can hit people on bikes and get let off because the thing they are driving looks like a car.

Re: What am i missing here ?

pedestrian walked into road without looking( traffic lights were on green) whether rider had been riding an ebike/ road bike or driving a 40 tonner the ped would still have been hit. yes theres some info missing - i read the original report so remember it.

So pedalling at ~16mph or a bit more, half the speed would have altered nothing.

So if you on a single speed and hit somebody that walks out into the road, that's jail time though?

Re:Fluffychicken

Basically yes. Also i remember reading about the bike - I honestly doubt it could do 30 mph assisted- it was sheer speculation on the part of a single witness as far as i can ascertain. It's a flat bit of road so a young fit person on a non ebike could exceed 15.5 mph anyway.

As for the other case from the stuff i read a) the victim had a more sympathetic profile and b)the cyclist was a bit of a knob.

Re: Re:Fluffychicken

Moqi":2die6j96 said:
Basically yes. Also i remember reading about the bike - I honestly doubt it could do 30 mph assisted- it was sheer speculation on the part of a single witness as far as i can ascertain. It's a flat bit of road so a young fit person on a non ebike could exceed 15.5 mph anyway.

As for the other case from the stuff i read a) the victim had a more sympathetic profile and b)the cyclist was a bit of a knob.

The victims' husband was a publicist and a bit of a knob - he made it out as if cyclists killed thousands everyday

There was a lot of manipulation going on here if you compare the text of the two cases from the same newspaper along with a clearly detectable bias against cycling

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... pedestrian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... n-uk-roads

Weirdly I cant find any reference to the e-bike rider being cleared via The Guardian

Back