Pedal on Parliament Edinburgh 26/04/2014

afp401

MacRetro Rider
Pedal on Parliament Edinburgh 26/04/2014

Only a month to go!

Surely one for the MacRetro rides calender, and looking back in a few years will hopefully turn out as having been an epic of a different kind.

http://pedalonparliament.org

https://www.facebook.com/events/591776797576322/
(not the social media type but if it was not for my token presence on facebook I would not even know this was happening)

While the aims are in my opinion waaaaaay toooooo tame it's still a step in the right direction and any campaign for better cycling infrastructure has got to be worth supporting.

So come along and show your support for better cycling infrastructure.
Bring family and friends, spread the word, tweet, share on facebook, if you'r a member of a cycling club get it included in the club calender and a notification sent out on the club e-mail list. Put up a poster on the notice board tea room if you work in a large organisation. etc. etc.

I'm not usually one for demonstrations, or asking people to promote them but I have to say i'm a bit shocked at how little publicity for this I have seen.
I'm sure I had seen more about it, and much more in advance last year. Apparently 4000 folk made it last time.
I think it needs at least 10 times that to even get more than just notice as an interest so small it can savely be ignored.
I would not want it to shrink, what signal would that send, so although I have no connection to the organizers I'll be putting a bit of time into trying to spread the word.

I'm not a member of any other cycling forums. are there any other cycling fora that have a Scottish section/area group or some such where I could post this?

Last year I had to abandon my plan to take part last minute so i'm determined to go this year.
With start time, current fitness levels, and commitments the previous day, cycling their from Selkirk with the kids camping for 2-3 nights as originally envisaged won't be an option. So I'm planning on parking in Fort Kinnaird and cycling along the innocent railway to the Meadows if anyone wants to join me.

Re:

Bump, it's tomorrow, and the weather Looks OK too. :D
Hope i'll actually get there!
Some time after posting this I was reminded that it's my eldest Birthday :oops: so it's up to him now :!:
Unfortunately he has not been to keen on going cycling recently.

I did make it albite without the family who decided to have a rest day after a very busy week.
the meeting at the meadows was impressive with a dense cue of cyclist stretching across and then around as far as i could see but once at parliament the crowd looked relatively small. I took a few min at the beginning to scale the Sailsbury crags path to get a bids eye view. Transport minister was there, representative from greens and the other 3 main parties all gave a speech. Can't remember who said it in her speech, about doing party on parliament rather than Pedal on Parliament once the goals are achieved. I can't see why we could not have a party there after the speeches already!
Hopefully they will announce a date earlier next time round as the short notice makes it very difficult to organise lager parties to go there (if like me you never did anything like that). Pretty much anyone I mentioned to I would be going actually still had never heard of the event. I think we really need to get to a stage where every one knows about it. I'm sure this could be a "Scottish Love Parade (as it used it used to be) on bikes".

I also made it on my 1985 Raleigh Team Panasonic!
27 of us left Glasgow George Square at 7.30 am, A8 & A89 all the way through.
Made a day of it and cycled back, a 101 mile round trip from Glasgow.

Re:

I'm afraid I have given up on ever being fit enough to do a century. And that would be without the hills in the borders.

Just a question why did you not cylc along the Canal tow path?
Must be so much more pleasant without the cars. Bad surface? Big D-tour?

Back