PAYPAL SCAM WATCH OUT HEADS UP !

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

Senior Retro Guru
Taken from Jaymz from RB.COM who found this - please read and be carefull

This is doing the rounds again, i first saw it a couple of years ago, but ive had three this last fortnight

If you recieve this and it gets through your spam filter, do not click the link in the email, it will take you to a false login page, where if your details are automatically filled in by your browser, the moment they auto fill in, the scammers have you details and your account will be empty in no time. I tested the link and reported it from a machine that has no personal information of mine on it. So dont think I got caught out by this
Here is a copy of the mail, for safety purposes I have added asterix's to the login url as I wouldnt want anyone to accidently click,copy etc the link and end up scammed

Sender:
Code:
service@account-paypal.co.uk
Subject: Notification of Limited Account Access RXI033
Code:
Dear PayPal Customer,

As a security measure, we regularly screen PayPal activity. Recently, we noticed a problem with your account.

We determined that someone may have tried to access your PayPal account without your permission. For your protection, we have limited your account access. To lift this limitation, click here:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?*cmd*=*login_actp

Reference Number:

We've limited access to your account temporarily .We'll review the limitation once you respond with the information we've requested.

Thank you for helping to resolve this problem.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.а r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Sociйtй en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP522

Firefox shown real link on the bottom strap on roll over as well. All browsers does it in more or less simple way. It's a typical scam as for many fraud PP/bank/ fake or trojan pages. Watch out and be careful lads.

Any genuine correspondance from Paypal / Ebay will address you by your real name. Not dear Paypal user / Ebay member etc.

Mark it as a phishing scam and delete.

REKIBorter":2rl5xh8n said:
Any genuine correspondance from Paypal / Ebay will address you by your real name. Not dear Paypal user / Ebay member etc.

better yet, forward it to paypal spam.

scant":iwlzcxmm said:
REKIBorter":iwlzcxmm said:

better yet, forward it to paypal spam.

Paypal seems less than interested as I forwarded mine over a week ago and still no response. What tipped me off was the email was sitting in my spam box. I went through ebay and paypal instead of following their link and saw no issue with my paypal account that way so I forwarded the spoof and deleted it.

paypal are fighting a losing battle. more scams than they can ever keep up with; although I have had replies in the past.

Ah, so that is what it is, I clicked the link once and my AVG flagged the page as an attack, so I backed off. The thing was, the notification did not appear in my spam box, it appeared in the same place as the genuine paypal notifications. As a result, I have backed off on purchases, a I am now suspicious and if I do use paypal, then, it is on my macbook, as I know that machine is clean, as the paid for security software, is kind of hot on that thing.

So, should I forward these suspicious email to paypal ?

silverclaws":2j2b370n said:
Ah, so that is what it is, I clicked the link once and my AVG flagged the page as an attack, so I backed off. The thing was, the notification did not appear in my spam box, it appeared in the same place as the genuine paypal notifications. As a result, I have backed off on purchases, a I am now suspicious and if I do use paypal, then, it is on my macbook, as I know that machine is clean, as the paid for security software, is kind of hot on that thing.

So, should I forward these suspicious email to paypal ?

I would download and run this program, I once picked up a Trojan while using Mcafee and this cleaned my system .Malwarebytes anti- malware. I found it on the Dell owners forum recommended by the mod there. It's free.

Back