Panterae - 2 become 1 become...?

Re: Suspension options for a '92 GT Pantera

I will dig it out of the cave and ping you a PM.

Re: Panterae - 2 become 1 (Was: Suspension options...)

Renamed the post, as I figured I'd document the build here.

The '92 finally arrived today, courtesy of a friend down in London. Looking rather sorry for itself:

F62198C7-0139-4696-8521-6558480920B7.jpg

It has a fairly odd mixture of componentry - originally would've been a mix of Deore LX and 500LX, but so far I've found:

TIG Ameoba Stem
FSA forged cranks
Serfas saddle
RST Zeta TL Forks
Mavic rims on STX hubs
Tektro brace

So it's had some money spent on it, but in odd places. Has non-original shifters, but original mechs, for example. Anyway - most of the existing stuff is going in a drawer, never to return - I'd sell bits, but I doubt any of them are worth anything.

It had a cartridge BB, which was nicely seized into the frame and the splines nearly rounded out, but some attention with an impact driver, followed by a 24" breaker bar and some bad words sorted that.

Fully stripped down, then mocked up with some newly-acquired Manitous:

C159DF80-8728-43A0-9F55-6E6315BD6496.jpg

The Manitous don't wreck the steering geometry nearly as much as the RSTs and they're lighter. The Fred Salmon stem won't be staying, as it's 1" and the GT is 1 1/8" (I had a spare crown and steerer).

The plan is for a retromod build - to make the bike as light as possible, without going mental and bearing in mind that it's not a light frame to start with. Kit I have so far (mostly on the blue bike):

Manitou 4s, about to get an alloy steerer.
Avid Single Digit SL front V-Brakes
Red DX Levers
Race Face Turbine cranks
Mavic rims on Hope XC hubs

Planned and still need to be acquired:
XTR front and rear mech
XT 8 speed shifters
Dia Compe rear U Brake (maybe - I'd like to know the weight difference first)
New BB (I'm open to the idea of titanium, but probably not)
Hope headset
Ti 26.8mm seatpost if I can find one, alloy if not
0 or possibly even negative degree stem
Flat alloy / Ti bars (yet to be decided)
Jagwire cables
Yeti grips (Got kinda used to them)

It's never going to be the lightest thing on earth, but I have a memory of it weighing not a kick in the backside off 30lb when new, so anything below that would be good.

Anyway, next step, the cleanup and to see how knackered the paintwork really is. If I could get replacement decals and guarantee that the colour could be reproduced, I'd get it completely re-done, but no-one has the decals and I'd be gutted if the colour didn't come out exactly right, so it'll stay as-is.

And then I have to decide what to do with the blue one...

Frame is now clean and bare, if covered in paint chips. An experimental wipe with some T-Cut seemed to bring what paint was left back to a shine though, so there's promise.

Cleaned up the old components as well. Still had the seven-speed cassette on the back and some alloy chainrings on the front that were missing half their teeth and spaced wrongly. Coupled with the cassette full of twigs, this thing must've changed gear like a pig.

Tribute to the build quality of the old LX stuff though - I swear that's probably the original jockey wheels...

15D162FF-21F2-4EFA-8BA3-85C7521F28F4.jpg

Only minor blip is that the hope hubs wouldn't fit the rear properly - I had to take a file to the drive-side dropout before it would sit fully located, as it had been chewed by the thread on the old STX wheel spindle. I'm now worried that the frame isn't entirely straight - especially with it being a non-replaceable mech hanger.

Also no idea what to do with the RST forks - this particular model seem to be quite well regarded, but don't know if it's worth selling them...

Going to be very nice. I had a 1996 ball burnished Pantera, loved that bike ;)

I always liked the '92, for the colour.

So the more I look at the frame, the less I'm convinced that the back end of it is straight. Which is annoying, to say the least.

I have a number of options:

1. Persevere with the frame, with the knowledge that if it turns out to be unrideable, the only thing I'll really have bought that I can't use again will be the seatpost (it needs a 26.8mm).
2. Find someone who'll recreate the same paint job (including decals) on the '95 bike, if I send them both frames. Any suggestions?
3. Buy a tatty 90s zaskar frame and go for option (2) with it, complete with 'Pantera' decals.
4. As option (3), but with correct Zaskar decals (easier to source).

Option (3) would effectively give me the bike I wish GT had made - right frame shape (flat end cap on top tube), but with replaceable dropout, v-brake mounts and lighter frame into the bargain. But I realise some people would consider it heresy to rebadge a bike as something it's not, even if it's a downgrade...

This will require some thought.

This looks great - always liked this colour of Pantera.

Sorry you are having problems with the rear. Are you sure it is not the wheel? Is it the stays or the dropouts that are out? Is there any tell tale loss of paint? I would consider taking it to one of the better bike shops and get them to measure or straighten. Even better I think you said you work in Livingston so try Shand Cycles 3b Nasmyth Court, Houston Industrial Estate, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 5EG.

I'm really not sure what's not right, but it definitely isn't. Will anyone be able to straighten an alloy frame?!

Anyway, throwing bits from the collection at the frame to see what works and what doesn't:

2CA0395E-6A83-4B30-95C9-6A6698E27E38.jpg

There's still a seat and post to arrive and it'll probably end up with different front and rear mechs, but anyway. The issues:

EB679B30-38BF-473B-B933-7CF244C528A1.jpg

The Manitous don't seem to like the Avid V-Brakes - the pad mounting binds on the fork brace though bizarrely, only on one side. Trying to decide whether to risk trying to file down the brake or not.

And then this:

2AC4DE14-04FF-49D7-B0C7-6A0ECEAAE2FE.jpg

That wheel is sat fully in the dropouts and the gaps are similar by the chainstays. The same wheel (hope hub of some sort, not sure which) sits absolutely fine in the blue '95 pantera...

Re:

I have one of these Panteras in this color. Love it.
Check the frame is straight... Mine has the original forks and they have been welded on the piss. The wheel goes through perfectly under the crown but one leg was welded slightly in front of the other, which means that the cantis aren't quite opposite each other. Frame isn't 100% either.
Mines been through many different guises, being a ridged geared and ss mtb, although due to the frame and fork being so overly stiff and me feeling rattled every time I rode it off road, it's now my daily commuter. Ride it to work everyday.

As previously suggested try Shand in Livingston.

Back