Paniers or trailer?

Re:

If you are sleeping in B&Bs or hotels, there is no way you need front panniers.

I think the plan is to camp, I've got a decent, lightweight 1.5/2 very friendly persons tent and I really enjoy camping. Won't bother with cooking stuff though, we'll eat out or have cold snacks. We won't be going anywhere smart, so just some casual clothes and bike wear, couple of sets of clean socks and undercrackers.

Might try a couple of local-ish weekend jaunts to see how we go and how much stuff we actually need.

The panniers I have are quite small, 15 litres each at a guess, so I don't think a couple more the same size on the front would be excessive and I don't have to fill them to brimming. :p

Re: Re:

xerxes":3edsimg1 said:
The panniers I have are quite small, 15 litres each at a guess, so I don't think a couple more the same size on the front would be excessive and I don't have to fill them to brimming. :p

:LOL: bet you do!!!

Camping load including cooker and 2 man tent (Terra Nova Voyager) with similar size panniers (15-20l or thereabouts). Groceries for dinner go into the saddlebag. The bike started life as a 1990 Marin Palisades.

27838532024_793c44e484_c.jpg

Panniers. Pair on front loaded with light stuff and pair on back with the heavies and rack if needed.

Guessing will weigh less than trailer, be more manouevrable, less rolling resistance, smaller target for cars to aim at and no need to carry spares for trailer eg inner tube, tyre.

Also one less item to worry being stolen by them thieving foreigners when bike left alone.

Re:

Also one less item to worry being stolen by them thieving foreigners when bike left alone.

Don't worry, we're going to Holland, they're all 6 foot plus giants over there and will have no interest in my "childs" bicycle. :D

Spoke protector aka dork disc
You may as well wear a t shirt with "im with stupid" with the arrow pointing at yourself.

Re:

I agree, daft idea. My Marin came with one factory fitted, so it was left on. Many years later, when it had gone yellow and looked scruffy, I removed it to discover that while it had been there rattling about it had slowly been wearing away the spokes it was there to protect. I replaced 3 particularly worn spokes that were it had worn almost a 3rd the way through them. :facepalm:

Back