Pace RC36 "clunking" on full extension

uphillcursing2

Dirt Disciple
I have a set of Pace RC36 forks attached to my Klein Pulse. When going over a small drop or similar there is a rather large thump as the fork extends to its full travel position.
I am not sure which model they are as I did not buy then new, classified specials, but they have only what looks like a rebound damper adjustment on the top of the RHS leg. The damper does not seem to be doing anything and being as quick as Dr Watsons mate have guessed that the two things are not unrelated!

I have looked on the Pace website but the manuals on their do not give any obvious clues to disassembly. Although it does give a list of the oil type and amounts IF i knew which model they are. ( I can put up some photos if that will help)

Can anyone link to a strip down/rebuild procedure or offer a little advise. Fork English is a step too far as I am in Aus.

I had a pair of these. AFAIK just undo the little allen bolts at the bottom of the legs and pull them apart.

They are pretty simple forks. I remember taking the damper apart once -sure there is a manual I followed - have you tried ringing Pace?

I think there was maybe a top out elastomer in there, yours may have disintegrated.

They have compression damping adjustment via the little screw in the middle of the rebound adjuster.

Thanks for the pointers. Have dropped Pace an email asking if there is a service centre in Aus. In the mean time I have had a go at taking the lowers off and those the screws at the bottom just turn and turn. I had hoped it would be like a set of Rockshox as you describe. I think all is not well with this fork. I can see me scouring the for sale section for a replacement set.
I then had a go at the rebound damper and took the centre screw out, turned then upside down and a decent amount of what looked like Brent crude spilled out when i cycled them.

No worries....I have serviced forks from Australia in the recent past :D

Send me a PM with a pic and I will ID them and let you know what is best-no problem sending parts/service items out to you.

Cheers
Tim ;)

You might need to push down and compress the forks to undo the screws holding the lowers on.

justbackdated is the forum Pace expert so you are in safe hands...

I don't know if these scans might help you, or somebody

Attachments

• 1998 Pace RC36 service MBR May 1998 p128.jpg
    1998 Pace RC36 service MBR May 1998 p128.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 851
  • 1998 Pace RC36 service MBR May 1998 p127.jpg
    1998 Pace RC36 service MBR May 1998 p127.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 847
Back