Pace rc35 internal dimensions

cool, i would be interested in a set if available and affordable. got some nice forks sat doing nowt but need a steerer and elastomers

I'm going to try a couple of methods for making these and if they test out ok I might make more- don't hold your breath but I'll keep updating here with how things pan out...

Well this now may take longer, given the frame they were going on has been condemned. I will at some point pick something else up so will probably keep them around until then, though I'm unlikely to be able to test them for a while.

Armed with a dremel, drill press and a bread knife I hacked the PU rod into something I was reasonably happy with... I wasnt convinced the rod would be fit for purpose so rather than have it properly machined I thought id just DIY it to see how it held up. Think I was right to - there is little to no flex in these, so unless they loosen up with ride time (which these wont get for a little while) i think I will ultimately have to look elswhere for my polyeurethene. It was a cheap first try though- nothing ventured nothing gained!

2016-06-11_10-49-00 by sonofprent, on Flickr

2016-06-11_10-49-32 by sonofprent, on Flickr

(The length looks really off in this pic but in reality when stacked they are within a mm or 2 of each other)

Worth giving them ago although I'd say the front right ones centre hole is way off and it will likely split in use.

For the sake of the time and effort the new PACE ones really are worth it having got them myself. I'm around 12.5 stone and the hard ones suit fine.

Well Ill be wasting my old mans time (and effort) on the next batch since he has the proper tools required! :)

Will try these out under use first and then get some better material (as opposed to taking a punt like I did here) for him to play with- if that fails Ill take your advice and get the proper pace bits.

Meanwhile I picked up some Judy springs for cheap... going to try hacking those in with one of the diy elastomers to see how they work together.

I did the very thing on a pair of pace forks I had (kind of wish I still had them) and to be honest it worked quite well. I can't recall what I used in the middle of them but it was about the sane as with full elastomers, not the pogo that people talk about with undamped springs as the elastomers do half the work. Hell, older Judy forks were part spring, part elastomer but then they did have damping (of sorts).

Back