Pace chain skip problem with new chain

Mijbil

Dirt Disciple
I've just fitted a new chain to my Pacey RC200 after the old one finally gave out, it was the original one I think! 17 years service! :D

Everything works fine, except for the 12 cog on the rear cassette, when the power is down the chain keeps skipping. most other cogs are fine, so it is driving me a bit nuts! I'm assuming it is because only 5 of the 12 teeth are engaged with the chain at any one time, but why is the chain skipping? I don't get it. :? :shock: :facepalm:

I'm pretty sure I got the right chain, Shimano HG narrow for 8 speed, so is it showing up a worn chain ring? It looks OK. I know I should probably replace the whole chain set for wear, however the front are Pace rings which are not easy to come by, so that aint gonna happen, and they don't look worn anyway. It is the rear cassette skipping, the small cog is the issue, though the one next to it is not so good either.

I don't want to take it to the bike shop just yet, as no doubt they will try to sell me a whole new chain set.....

Help!

Re:

17 years on the same chain??!!! :shock:

I'd almost guarantee that the rear cassette is worn out, the chain & cassette wear together, so if you leave the chain to get very worn then chances are the cassette will be too, and a new chain will be a bit tighter and skip about on the cassette.
Have you ever replaced the rear cassette?

The chainrings may be toast too, but its usually the cassette that you notice more.

If you've tried adjusting the rear mech and it's still no better then I'd be looking at a new 8speed cassette, they're not too expensive.

How come you replaced the chain anyway? if it had done 17 years service then what's another year or two? :LOL: or was it giving you problems?

Re: Re:

The chain kept snapping, through age I guess! Whilst 17 years old, 10 of those years were in storage, so it hasn't seen a lot of use till now.

jimo746":3gdv3vcu said:
17 years on the same chain??!!! :shock:

I'd almost guarantee that the rear cassette is worn out, the chain & cassette wear together, so if you leave the chain to get very worn then chances are the cassette will be too, and a new chain will be a bit tighter and skip about on the cassette.
Have you ever replaced the rear cassette?

The chainrings may be toast too, but its usually the cassette that you notice more.

If you've tried adjusting the rear mech and it's still no better then I'd be looking at a new 8speed cassette, they're not too expensive.

How come you replaced the chain anyway? if it had done 17 years service then what's another year or two? :LOL: or was it giving you problems?

Even 7 years is an utter shit load of use.
Longest lasting chain i've had off road was about 18 months of semi regular use (once or twice a week, 20-30 miles offroad each time) that was utterly shot. New chain, cassette, and rings needed.

secret_squirrel":1lqsedi0 said:
Im gobsmacked that your pace rings have lasted that long. My pace rings lasted about 1.5 rear cassettes.

I think this is the first time he's changed the cassette in 17 years as well, so the chainrings will have only seen x1 cassette change.
So using that logic, if I were never to change my chain or cassette, my Pace chainrings would last forever! :D :D :D

Re:

chainring-1.jpg

Plenty of life left yet. :shock:

Back