Over the bars clipped in

:roll: Funnily enough I did mine when I was playing rugby at 13 (which was how I knew I hadn't done it again this time), but bloody hell, I knew the minute I tried to lean on it to get back up that something was seriously wrong. No way was I going to try soldiering on and finishing the game. Harumph, even then I guess I needed to HTFU :D

mine was a good old fashioned over the handlebars effort. I knew it was broken as did my mate who was following because we both heard it snap. Stood up as quick as I could to try and not look stupid (as you do) but when the adrenaline wore off the pain kicked in and I sat back down again - quickly! :LOL: To bring it slightly back on topic, I was clipped in, but both feet came free easily because I always have low spring tension on my spds.

Did exactly that last Sunday racing at Thetford. Heard a group of fast riders approaching, pulled to the side of the singletrack to let them through, smack, hit a hidden tree stump in the long grass, next thing I knew I was looking face down at my bars touching the ground. Crumpled gracefully to the ground as they flew by.

Zigzag and Barney you blouses! My son broke his collar bone 4 weeks into primary 1 at lunchtime, then sat for 2-3 hours in class doing his work, then came out at the end of the day saying to mum my shoulder hurts, then started crying.

He did walk about like the hunchback of Notredam for about 3-4 weeks.

The Ken":3hvqha44 said:
Zigzag and Barney you blouses! My son broke his collar bone 4 weeks into primary 1 at lunchtime, then sat for 2-3 hours in class doing his work, then came out at the end of the day saying to mum my shoulder hurts, then started crying.

He did walk about like the hunchback of Notredam for about 3-4 weeks.

Hat's off to your son! I had to walk 2 miles down the side of a mountain, then spend half an hour in the back of a Land Rover on a bumpy track going to the Doctors, I then waited 2 hours for the Doc to come and fit a device like a figure of 8 that goes over both arms and tightens up at the bac to pull your shoulders back. The doc was p*ssed as it was Sunday afternoon and tightened the harness by putting a broom behind my elbows and pulling whilst his assistant put her knee in my back. I then had to wait for a further 2 hours in 35 degree heat before my mate finally picked me up. it was an hour drive back to our chalet and all the pharmacies were shut, so it was about 7 hours after the accident before I recieved any pain relief. To top it off the doctor had done the straps up so tight on the harness that they made my left arm swell massively - when I got back to the UK (after 18 hours in a car) they cut the harness off to discover that I had DVT and the wounds caused by the straps were infected (not surprising as it's difficult to wash with both your arms strapped behind your back). I spent 2 days in hospital being repeatedly scanned to check the clots didn't move before they dissolved. It took 12 weeks for the bones to knit together because the break was so displaced and at this stage you could still see bruising coming to the surface of my shoulder, chest and back. It still clicks at the break now.

So, blouse I maybe, but it's a bullet proof blouse. ;)

Good grief, I thought I had it bad when I had to put up with my gym teacher's bouncy 2CV for the 2 minute drive to the hospital.

I'll get me coat... :oops:

So, blouse I maybe, but it's a bullet proof blouse. Wink

:)
:LOL:

it was 5-6 hours before miniKen got any painkillers - my wife waited till I got home from work as my son wanted me to take him to hospital :)
He got a sling for his arm, sounds a lot safer than that strap nonsense.

Carefull now ZigZag, that coat could be heavy :)

The Ken":3fa8tngm said:
So, blouse I maybe, but it's a bullet proof blouse. Wink

:)
:LOL:

it was 5-6 hours before miniKen got any painkillers - my wife waited till I got home from work as my son wanted me to take him to hospital :)
He got a sling for his arm, sounds a lot safer than that strap nonsense.

Carefull now ZigZag, that coat could be heavy :)

Yeah they put my arm in a sling when I got back here. Apparently they stopped using the strap thing back in the 50's here in the UK. It's the French who still use them and I'm pretty sure it is only on the Brits when they hurt themselves mountain biking on a Sunday afternoon! :LOL:

The conversation with the French, drunk Doc as he did up the straps went something like this:

Doc: Zis might urt a little beet
*tightens straps with aforementioned broom*
Me: "F@CK ME!!!!!!!"
Doc: "I would, but I really don't theenk you'll like it"
Me: "thanks for your time, I'll be off now"

That's it, I'm getting my lightweight wool blend cardy off the coat-peg and heading for the door now...

Back