Ouch........Like carbon bike bits.........look here.........

Although the number of seatpost breaks is making me concerned about my 10 year old carbon alien on my road bike.

There's plenty of carbon on my bikes - I've been using it for years and never had a problem. But then I only use quality products from respected companies; I have no sympathy for somebody who face plants after busting a £250 unbranded frame from China. You pays your money....

Here's a good vid showing the difference between good carbon and alu -
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz ... t-lab.html

From what I can see on the first page there aren't any low quality unrespected companies parts on that thread...

Bontrager
Specialized
Trek
Kuoto
Easton
Cannondale

Pretty much all big names, no unbranded chinese frames.

The Ken":9tcj1fll said:
From what I can see on the first page there aren't any low quality unrespected companies parts on that thread...

Bontrager
Specialized
Trek
Kuoto
Easton
Cannondale

Pretty much all big names, no unbranded chinese frames.

And most of them buy from China and put their name on it. Non Chinese Carbon normally cost a lot of ££££

^^^^ indeed, scaremongering, most of the big name brand failures are due to crashes.

just remember folks....

IMG_2084.jpg

my t shirt i got with my surly :cool:

I just don't get it.

"Ooooh, look how easily these carbon frames fail.... when you hit a wall at 35mph."

Frankly, If I rode into a wall at 35mph, picking carbon out of my leg would be the least of my worries.

Amazing how carbon seatposts/bars always seem to fail after they've been adjusted... Got a torque wrench? No, didn't think so.

Just curious, why do they fail away from the contact point? Is it to do with de-lamination once they have been over tightened? (all those seatpost and bars are like that, 2 of them very high up)

And just a point that trek wasn't involved in a crash, it just gave out. As are most of them when commented on, Odd that a track bike appear to have had a head on failure.

I think issues like that are because carbon is harder to spot problems in quality control, where as on metal the weld is easy to spot defects in. What do they do for testing? xray? resonance testing, ultrasound?

I don't have an issue with carbon, I quite like it, it the way it fails I don't like, but then Alu can have sudden failure too.

Back