Original frame finish, how important is it...

Re:

Shiny refurbed bikes are nice but painting something to look like new is easy. Painting it to look like it`s had 20 years of honest use is impossible. If I had some something run of the mill I'd respray it no problem. A museum piece I would never do more cosmetically than an oily rag resto. In the classic car & motorcycle world people have wiped thousands off the value of things by making them look like new.
Particularly with very lightweight competition bicycles I'd prefer to see how much work it's done. I've seen a few bikes on here have a wallet crippling rebuild & then develop a crack. ooooh

Wall hangers are different obviously but even if I was lucky enough to own a one of a kind bike worth £££$$$£££ I`d still ride it!

I'm facing this challenge with my latest project.

The paint is being retained but I can't decide what to do about the flaked decals.

Montello":32rsigb9 said:
I'm facing this challenge with my latest project.

The paint is being retained but I can't decide what to do about the flaked decals.

I'd do the decals on yours, I think it would bring it all to life and complement the condition of your components. Just my opinion.

Re:

IMHO the o ly correct answer is to have the paint job you want. After all, you're the one who's going to look at it the most.

As Ned says, its only original once.
Though I would also agree that with something fairly run of the mill it probably is nicer to have a nice clean machine than an old rusty one :)
Montello, I agree also with the others that nice new decals on yours would really look much better. Your finish on that machine is lovely but in my opinion the decals really let it down and new ones would bring it up to the standard of your red one.
As for the original Langdale, I think it looks much better in its new livery. There was nothing wrong before, but it just a very smart, crisp finish now. Colour combination is great as well.

Jamie

See I'm gona disagree :) I like the bikes I build to look like they have just rolled out of a dealers back in the 80's / 90's. I have plenty of friends that go for the patina look whether that be bikes or cars but it just don't do it for me. Rust, dings, dents, missing paint and half missing decals just don't float my boat. Spec wise I like to get as close as it was back in the day but like it looking new. NOS parts where possible. Some say this is a waste as I do ride them but I say if its new its then down to me to look after. Just like it would have been back in the day.
See for me as well as riding them part of the magic are the memories, and for me those memories are of mint new bikes in shops and on the road that I couldn't get, so now I want them looking like they did when I wanted them back then not after some one else has ridden them hard.
Unless it was very very special like a TDF winning bike (the actual one that won) even a team bike would be redone if it was in a state, and that's what I have just done with my Castorama frame. As it was bought with paint and decals missing it didn't warrant an expensive campagnolo re-build so I restored the frame.................I'm happy with it.

As to changing the original colour, I don't but that's only because the bikes I have restored so far have been restored to how they were back in the day because that's how I have wanted them and why I bought them in the 1st place. But I'd be happy to do my own colour on a frame if the right one comes along and I will be doing it on an old Raleigh MTB I have.

Re:

I quite accept retaining original colour schemes where it's warranted an relevant. For example, I once had a Raleigh 531 Competition in Panasonic colours, if I was to refurbish something like that I would retain the original colour scheme.

As for my Langdale, as referred to in earlier posts, it was a nice 653 frame but nothing out of the ordinary as steel frames from that time go. Except to me, it was! Because it was mine, from new, I raced it on the road and TTs, trained on it, club runs, chaingangs etc. As the years went by it dropped down the pecking order until it became my winter bike for a few years and suffered as a result. Fitted with anything that had also been taken from newer bikes. Eventually the chrome began to get pitted, the chips and marks on the paintwork became more shabby. Yep! I've chucked a bit of money at it and if the frame rots, cracks or is otherwise done for, I've still got the components for another.
I'm comforted somewhat by the above comments, accepted it's now't special, except to me, and it's now back at the top of the pecking order along with some good memories.
Thanks folks.

FWIW I love the paint job and despite its history with you I'd choose it over the original scheme every time (unless the particular frame had first rank competition history, as someone else has said). From going through the thought process myself several times, I think there is a stage after every rebuild is complete when everyone asks themselves if they made the right choice - that is the time when I either start looking for another frame/bike or for upgrade components. Only when replaced by a newer build do I really know if I will hang on to it's predecessor.

Latest posts

Back