Orange riders

messiah":3dmlpvnq said:
In Scotland I remember Gregor Grant, and I think Rachel Gordon also rode for Orange at one time.

Neil Ross cycles in Aberdeen usually had a good squad of riders on orange bikes - Dan Whitehead springs to mind as being pretty successfull.

yeah, both Gregor and Rachel rode mid nineties, was it Neil Ross Dan rode for? AIR he had a brother who raced as well.

In later years we had quite a few riders from Sandy Wallace Cycles as well and we currently support Stu Thomson, Stu was one of Peaty's Royal youth squad we inherited the year before Peaty joined us.

A couple more names from DH, Paul Plunkett, Chris Whitfield, James Richards

bordercollie1":1w8xl32p said:
I think I remember the Steve Bowman pic; big drop off, grassy descent, hanging way behind the saddle on on a stock black Orange Prestige, full Orange team kit and THOSE brown suede Shimano shoes!

I loved the advert because it was the complete opposite of the purple anodised crowd I couldn't afford to be a part of!

Think the ad was on the back of a 1992 MBI?

We should have that in the archive :) must get around to adding all the ads to our website.

messiah":3eptv4ed said:
Neil Ross cycles in Aberdeen usually had a good squad of riders on orange bikes - Dan Whitehead springs to mind as being pretty successfull.

Neil Ross Cycles was where I bought my first Clockwork and The Bike Bothy (where Dan Whitehead worked) was where I sold it.
Those were the days...

*wipes nostalgic tear from eye*

EDIT:
AIR he had a brother who raced as well.

Paddy. Could've been him.

JS1500":1kg3gdon said:
messiah":1kg3gdon said:

Neil Ross Cycles was where I bought my first Clockwork and The Bike Bothy (where Dan Whitehead worked) was where I sold it.
Those were the days...

*wipes nostalgic tear from eye*

EDIT:
AIR he had a brother who raced as well.

Paddy. Could've been him.

The DH boy was indeed Paddy - when he rode XC he used to sprint off the front and die on the first climb - oh how we laughed :eek:)

I bump into Neil occasionally, last time was at Pitfichie and before that halfway round Clachnaben. He is still biking.

Not forgetting Steve Wade of course who in his day was an awesome XC racer, Bomb MC back in '90/91 was quite a race.

Giles Dumont, Brian Wilkinson, Simon (Dargue?), Tim (from Barrow?)

Wow! Thread resurrection!
There was another thread on Orange team riders here -

I added a scan that mentions the Formula on test belongs to Tim Wilson - is this your guy?

Slightly off topic....but did any of these riders go under the name of Iceman? - I own the infamous Iceman "O" that is confirmed as a prototype Aluminium "O"......but no one seems to know who this Orange rider was? Any leads gratefully appreciated 🙏

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Wow! Thread resurrection!
There was another thread on Orange team riders here -

I added a scan that mentions the Formula on test belongs to Tim Wilson - is this your guy?

Slightly off topic....but did any of these riders go under the name of Iceman? - I own the infamous Iceman "O" that is confirmed as a prototype Aluminium "O"......but no one seems to know who this Orange rider was? Any leads gratefully appreciated 🙏

Cheers.
boy"O"boy
Great article on the Formula. It wasn't built to last!

I don't remember anyone called Iceman, I doubt anyone would have considered themselves cool enough! Kevin or Dan maybe, both very determined and could have come across like that sometimes! I used to ride a lot with Steve Bowman, he was way ahead of his time back then, always pulling wheelies and a gifted downhiller. He didn't have the discipline to train hard though, and didn't quite achieve results he was capable of. Steve is a well respected name in South African MTBing now, mainly for his retail experience I think. Lester took a KOM from me last summer on his e-bike, I didn't know it was him at first, he kicked my arse on a ride up Cross Fell once in 1990. One of the first guys to represent UK in the World Champs pre-1990. Shalom!

Back