Orange P7, silver to nickel finish, possible?

Orange Squash

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone ever tried to take a painted P7 frame and given it the nickel finish that they used to offer from the factory?
How hard can it be?
Is it not just a clear coat over the bare metal?
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Re:

Ideally, the frame needs to be industrially stripped/blasted/cleaned down to bare metal, then be fully dipped in a tank to have a layer of nickel electroplated over it. You could just strip it then lacquer the frame yourself, but that's just not the same as a nice pewter coloured nickel plating. A powder coater could strip the frame, etc, then lacquer coat it professionally, as an option. Found this link of someone nickel plating small parts at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcz8Py7bjzQ

Not sure if you'd want to try plating a whole frame in the bath though!

Here's a couple of RB threads discussing plating:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=258106

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32699

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130384

Wow, thanks for all that! I had no idea it was that difficult!! When I bought it I had to get the silver because the nickel were all out of stock and I couldn't wait for them to come in!
Spose I'd need a pretty big bath to get it in!
I'll let you know what I decide to do in the end.
Thanks.

Re:

No problem. There are others on RB more qualified to advise you better on this. There's plenty of good examples of shiny Oranges to see/read about.

I was quite intrigued by the video of DIY electroplating myself and it got me thinking about may be restoring some F7s and other smaller components. You can get the kit and chemicals, but I guess it's a messy process.

The key to good results is in prepping the frame or parts with a thorough stripping down and degreasing to provide a clean surface for your finish of choice to bond to. May be strip off the old paint, fettle and clean the frame yourself, then take it to be plated. Get some different quotes on stripping and nickel plating before deciding – some powder coaters can do plating too.

Good luck with this – it'll be good to see how you get on...

Re:

I agree. I'll have no trouble stripping the frame (done plenty of that sort of thing) and I get the chemistry stuff (got chemistry degree), I just think the logistics of doing it myself and properly could be the issue. The easy thing would be to buy a nickel frame and sell my silver one but I have a funny sentimental thing with inanimate objects (I've had the old lump for twenty years!) so it wouldn't feel right. And of course it will be out of action for a bit and you know what happens to your legs when you stay off the bike for a week or two!!

Re:

Aside of the practicalities, all's good then. Taking the easy option may be practical but then one misses out on the challenge, much cursing and then the sense of achievement (hopefully) with the end results. I am firmly attached to my 24/25 year-old Orange and would hate to be without it. I was off mine for a year following an injury, and the muscles turned to floppy blancmange. Unless you're stony broke, you could buy a nickel Orange as well – keeping both. But then you might end up with a shed full of bikes...

Unfortunately I decided to go back to university so I have absolutely no spare funds whatsoever, so no chance of a multiple bike stable at the mo. And I use the bike to commute during term time so I could have a go in the summer. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Oh yeah, a P7/nickel solution in the bath!!
I wonder if it could be done in a large bag? That would reduce the volume of solution needed.
Think I might do a few test pieces, just for the fun of it!

Re:

Ah yes, fair do's. I've noticed some of the pics of expansive bike collections on RB.

Boil in the bag? I guess start with the small parts to work out the process.

It's certainly a technique I've used for treating timber, uses much less fluid that way but wonder if it will leave "bag marks" on the metal. Although with it being an electrical deposition type of process that might not be an issue. Or I could do the rear triangle in the bag with the front triangle masked off and then do the same for the front.
I'll work it out somehow, thanks for the input.

Re:

Use a large container with breeze blocks in a plastic bag to displace the fluid. I'm looking into Nickel Plating but wouldn't ever be able to do a frame.

Latest posts

Back