Orange P7 Re Nickelling and Laquering ADVICE PLEASE

Laserblueexige

Dirt Disciple
My Orange P7 (Aug 1994 frame build and one owner from new) is going to get a new lease of life as the old girl holds a very special space in in my heart.

The current laquering is quite tatty now especially around the usual wear points. It does have rust spots across the frame which are more concentrated towards the BB area. Nothing critical I don't thing but certainly unsightly.

I have considered having her re nikel plated with Ashford Chroming Services and then have a clear coat applied some where else as ACS dont offer that as a part of their service. That somewhere else I haven't yet figured out.

Before I go ahead with this I thought i would ask you Orange Gurus advice if this is the right approach and anything that I need to be aware of. I am really not frightened about getting my wallet out but I want it to right. Should I have a clear/laquer coat or not. If so can you recommend someone in the Surrey area as ACS don't do it. Should I apply Gils decals before the clear coat or after and is protective film sneered at or considered a good thing.

Re:

Suppose it really comes down to whether you want longevity or originality.

From memory, the new nickel P7 I had bitd was just nickel with decals stuck on top.

Lacquering over the top will probably guard against the dreaded rust spots and protect the decals but may not look quite the same aesthetically.

I go for originality in my builds - but that’s just me. You do you, as the kids say.

Back