Orange p7 1994

Becheley

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

I have recently been given a Orange p7 from what i think is 1994 after reading up on how to read the serial number and get the details from it.

The bike is in great condition , i would say a 9 out of 10

My uncle owned it before and never used it, i think he said he upgraded the wheels not so long ago to Mavics?

Like i say im clueless on bikes and how to do them up etc.

Here is my dilema

i want to upgrade it to disc brakes and front suspension, think this means i need the gear shifters and new levers to?

is it worth it? or do i just sell it and buy one thats already got all that on it!!

not sure if the upgrade p7 cost is going to be high or not as i know nothing about cost or what it needs or how to do it!!

if it wasnt worth it what would this bike fetch?

or if anyone has the parts to sell me please let me know!!

i have purchased some forks for it on ebay but i think i have made a mistake as im not sure if they are any good??

see below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

i think they will fit but i havent a clue reallly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please any help would be welcome as i want a bike to ride soon.

open to all suggestions including swaps etc whatever!!! idealy i would upgrade this as its kinda cool!!

Thank Everyone

Richard

07876 778891

Feel free to text

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
so many questions to answer!

firstly the forks will not fit, unless you change the headset bearings and stem. and if the steerer is the same size. most forks are 1 1/8". not sure what size the P7 is? it is an easy job if you have the tool and know what you are doing, but if not you stay clear..

You cannot fit discs to the frame or rigid forks as they do not have the mounts.

The P7 is a great bike and would fetch £150-200 easy. I was looking for one the same as yours for ages! without any joy, but am sorted with something else now. unless you want to donate it to a good home?

If i were you i'd keep that as it is and/or buy somthing newer if you feel you need suspension and discs.

put some miles on it before you decide

Hope this helps

dont spose anyone can advise on forks>

been looking at Manitou Fork retro on ebay but havent a clue which ones, my local bike shop said you buy what you want and we will fit it!! any guidance would be shit hot

First off try to determine the age of the bike.This will give you an approximation of the length of travel fork you can fit,probably between 50-80mm but most bikes will get away with 80mm.
Fork to fit 1" or 1 18" ? :?
Measure the steerer tube on the fork already fitted and there you go ;) .

If its 1 1/8" then the jobs is really simple as there is plenty of disc mount sus forks about with 80mm travel.My recommendation would be for any of the late 90's marzocchi Z series as they are easy to service,will put up with the most ridiculous abuse and still perform perfectly.Plus most are IS mount for the disc so will fit just about any system old or new.
1" might be harder to find but im sure there are plenty in the cupboards of many members here :? a call in our 'wanted' section will bring them out.

Rear disc
Again ,not a problem.There are a few bolt on systems,namely Hope's no2 caliper,A2Z,Critical Racing and i think others.
A2Z,Critical Racing etc bolt an international standard[I.S.] mount onto the frame at the non drive side dropout.
The Hope brake system also bolts on in the same place but incorporates a caliper as well.
I think the member Big.Eck has a couple of no2's available[he has every part hope ever produced :LOL:]

Here's a couple of pics of the Hope No2 brake fitted to my '99 Clockwork[slime green] and an I.S. mount type fitted to my '98 Raleigh torus[light blue].

Attachments

• frame adaptor 001 (Large).jpg
    frame adaptor 001 (Large).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Hope C2 Servicing and replacing the seals 017 (Large).jpg
    Hope C2 Servicing and replacing the seals 017 (Large).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,091
  • sony_md_036_199 (Large).jpg
    sony_md_036_199 (Large).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • sony_md_029_medium_200_986 (Large).jpg
    sony_md_029_medium_200_986 (Large).jpg