Orange Mannesmann

fridge

Retro Newbie
If you lived in Leeds in the early nineties you may have spent some time hanging out in Stif, before they moved and became all spangly, in the shop/workshop they had hidden away in Headingley. Great days.

I had upgraded over the years from a Maverick to a Bear Mountain to a Cannondale which was supposed to be my keeper.... until I saw an Orange Mannesmann frame hanging on the scales in Stif.

If I remember correctly (what I was told) they were a prototype top end steel frame that was going to be offered next year, '92 or '93 maybe, made from steel sourced from Mannesmann a German engineering company; they were to be sold for £750 for the frame alone.

Being a student I couldn't stretch to £750 for a frame, and I don't think they ever made any more than the inital few prototypes but my student loan did buy Paul's (the owner I think?) used Mannesmann frame built up with an LX group, DX thumbies and SS5 brakes. Fitted the handbuilt wheels from my Cannondale and was good to go.

Rode the bike for many years, eventually had the chainstays replaced by Bob Jackson when they rusted through, rode it singlespeed and now it does duty as my 'training' bike (if I did any training anyway).

I've had a look over the years for info on these frames and never really found any more info apart from mention of Mannesmann tubing on a frame for sale in the classifieds here. So anyone remember these? Does my memory deceive me?

Oh and apparently David Baker had raced on it whilst Paul at Stif owned the frame... really need to get it resprayed back to the original colours.

Orange Mannesmann anyone?

Cheers
David

Spent many a happy hour at the old shed in Headingley. Couldn't afford a new Orange back then but they put me on to a second hand one that was my pride and joy for years. :cool:

Never heard of the bike you mention but am very interested to find out more. I know they were doing the handbuilt Formula around that time that came with a sky high asking price :? Get some pictures up ;)

Oh, and if you ever consider selling I demand first dibs! :twisted:

brocklanders023":2svuca55 said:
Spent many a happy hour at the old shed in Headingley. Couldn't afford a new Orange back then but they put me on to a second hand one that was my pride and joy for years. :cool:

Never heard of the bike you mention but am very interested to find out more. I know they were doing the handbuilt Formula around that time that came with a sky high asking price :? Get some pictures up ;)

Oh, and if you ever consider selling I demand first dibs! :twisted:

This one's definitely a keeper! Doesn't look much at the moment as it's currently matt black but will post some pics when I get the chance.

I remember the Formula and was actually looking at the '91 Orange catalogue on here, which I remember having a copy of. I wonder if my Mannesmann was basically a Formula built using Mannesmann tubing rather than Reynolds, or whatever the options were. I think that it's probably only the main tubes and was told at the time that they were very thin straight gauge...

Might be worth contacting Orange or Stif. Think the owner of Stif is still the same chap. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it. :D

Back