Orange C16r

Forx

Aha, someone from my mold! Thinking about this a little more, I wouldn't go for suspension at all either. My fave bike currently is an all rigid Ti framed, superlight weight job(sub 20 pounds) and I feel the light weight more than compensates for the lack of front suspension. Granted the Forks and bars are Ti which are forgiving, but correct tyre choice and pressure will do more for the ride than poor sus' forks. It all depends what you want to do, if your attempting North Shore stuff, buy a cheap hard nut hardtail with 120 plus of front travel, but as Ant' days IT WILL be heavy, for general trail riding, just gradually up grade to lighter retro parts (shed weight) better tyres, light tubes, you will be surprised at the difference this makes! And you will be faster up hill. People forget tyres are still the most vital part of an MTB in terms of ride quality, even a modern full suspension bike with narrow tyres pumped up to 50 psi plus, will give you a harsh ride.
I was watching a talented young lad yesterday doing stunts on a 170 mm forked Kona Cowan, impressive, until he had to ride up hill and in a straight line! It weighed 40 pounds, I smoked him up hill within 50 yards, let him catch up then couldn't bide the slow pace on the flat either and I'm the wrong side of 50!

Russell":2xigkqxw said:
idiot boy!

No . . rigid and proud! Us rigid riders must stick together ;) . Took my little Clockwork out for it's first longish ride this morning and couldn't help constantly thinking "Mag 21 SL Ti " :p but after reading Anthony's post - "b. those F8 forks are among the most-fun rigids ever made and replacing them with heavy/rubbish Mag 21s would be a step backwards and make the bike worse" - maybe he has a point.

Hows the Fire Mountain coming along?

many thanks for all the replies, sounds like i should just keep it as it is and search ebay for a good second hand bike

My C16 has a set of ROND Quake 75s. had to adapt the headset to threadless (£10 from wiggle) and change the stem.
I run hydraulic brakes and separate thumbshifters so the lack of a cablestop wasn't a problem.

I found the handling much improved with the suspension, but i had the old forks not the f8s.

Yes, all the Retrobike guys are right in saying you shouldnt have to change shifters etc to convert to front sus forks.

You can pick a reasonable set of 2nd hand forks up from Ebay, local bike shop etc for IRO £100.00. Elastomer forks should offer you ease of maintenance.

In my opinion, if you're doing just XC riding, front sus does improve long term comfort, but of course its all personal choice.

You've got a good bike to work with. Keep it and improve it :D

Back