Opinions on hardtail Titanium frames

swannymere

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, Looking to possibly buy a Titanium hard tail 26" frame to build up but what are the opinions of the forum of these; Merlin XLM, Ibis Mai Tai, Kona Hei Hei and King Kahuna.

I have no experience with ti, but would love to get one. I've even pondered getting one of the cheapo BikesDirect models to try it out, but as my preference leans towards classic geometry, I think I would prefer vintage. From my research, not a lot of negative reviews, if any, for the Konas you listed. Everybody seems to love the feel and those who have sold them express regret. And Merlin seems to be on another level entirely.
"If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword.. ...you compare it to every other sword ever made - wasn't made - by Hattori Hanzo."
I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions

I love my Rewel Ti rigid frame. I should have bought a Ti years ago and BITD should have got a Merlin. Ti has got the lot. Very very light plus the 'spring' of a steel. I've never seen a Ti painted like a Klein. Which is a shame. A Ti still gets you noticed out on the trails. Several people have chatted to me about Ti when stopped for a coffee. If I had the spare ££££ I'd have a Ti road bike from Rewel.

I've got a few ti frames in my stash, some retro, some modern and I haven't really got anything bad to say. They look good, ride really nicely and are light and strong. Brands include DBR, Raleigh, GT, litespeed, rock lobster, cove and on one. Had others over time.

In my opinion it’s the best material for a hardtail/rigid frame.
I agree. I miss my Hei Hei, why on earth I sold it I don't know. I say my Hei Hei but it had been owned by quite a few people on this forum previously. As far as I know, it now still lives in Hungary.

The orange bike to the left is a 98 reynolds 853 explosif, a nice frame by any standards, lively feel about it, a joy to ride. Then I bought a Hei Hei, same size and of course same geometry. When I rode it, it took me a while to realise that things were more civilised, less vibration and jarring. Both bikes had suspension forks and typical mountain bike tyres but the Hei Hei felt like it shielded me from the vibration better.

I now have a Lynskey road bike which is also a real pleasure to ride.

I'd say the only disadvantage compared to steel is if a titanium frame cracks, it can be repaired but from things I've seen online the repair might not be as long lasting as steel.

Even with that, I do think it's probably the best material for a bike frame. Steel of course, is still real...

Latest posts

Back