Oor Wullie Bucket Trail - Binned due to lack of interest

Was worth a try but no interest, so binning this.
Feel free to post alternatives for the weekend.

Hi mate
Would still like to do this but haven't been able to commit due to a health issue with my mother in law. Wouldn't know anymore until Friday at the earliest as may have to go down to road.
Sorry as it would have been a great family day out. especially before the schools go back.

Jamie

How long would this take? I'm in Dundee that day for my grand-daughter's birthday. Maybe I'll get a leave pass. :)

Re:

Jamie, I knew you were interested but hadn't seen you post anything. Understand why you can't commit at present. Was hoping for a few families out but dates just haven't came together.
The group of touring Wullies are in Inverness at present, would make an easier day out for you to go see the ones there.

Epicyclo, there are 55 so a pretty full on day if you were to see them all. Lots spread all over Dundee, you'll probably be near some. You get an hours free parking at City Quay and can visit 7 or 8 from there.

Well, after a mixed up week and a bit of family duties Caleb and I managed to race down to Inverness this afternoon to catch the 10 Oor Wullies that were touring the country.
We left home around 11.30 for a normal 2.5 hour drive to Inverness, armed with the address's of where the Wullies were. They were nearly all Highland Council properties and there were supposed to be 7 in one area, 4 being at the Botanic Garden, 2 at the Leisure centre and one at the archive centre. The other three were in the middle of town, the station, library and museum. It was their last day in Inverness before returning to Dundee. Plenty of time, or so we thought.
After having to make a huge detour due to there being an accident on the stretch of dual carriage way near the Kessock bridge we had to slowly detour round Beauly and come in the other side of Inverness. This meant we only got to Inverness around 3pm.
Typical Highland council, the ones at the leaisure centre were already gone, the archive building one had already gone or was inside the closed building. Due to the building works and roadworks we only found the botanic garden centre at 4pm which was closing and the Wullies were already being loaded into the vans as they wanted to get back to Dundee tonight I think :)
Thankfully the guys were really cool and took Caleb to see them and moved them round so he could get a picture. We got to see the five from there with one being the Marylon Munroe Wullie. After heading back into the excellent park for another play we decided to race into the middle of town to see if we could see the others before they too were whisked away.
We found only the one at the train station, there was no sign of the one at the library and if it hadn't been picked up already then I hope it wasn't left outside as its not the nicest area with all the rubbish and bottles about. It was the same round the back, so we can only assume that the ones at the council buildings were inside, not outside and so we couldn't have seen them anyway as they are all closed on a Sunday. So maybe the council should of said that Saturday until 12 was there last day :(
Anyway Caleb had a ball as he seen a couple of them and we played in the adventure park for at least an hour and a half, rode round on the miniature train and then in town we had a three course dinner at Pizza Express.
Back on the road and home for just after 9. A long afternoon but we had a good one and seen a couple of bits of art along the way :)
Shame we couldn't get to Dundee but it was a good idea, so we should keep a look out for something similar.

Jamie

DSCN2800 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2803 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2789 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2796 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Glad you got to see some.
Sharron and I went into town on Saturday to finish off the ones we needed to get before we had off on holiday tomorrow. Sure I saw TK and his kids biking round Magdalen Green and Epicyclo and his wife in the Overgate!

Like you say, we just need to keep an eye on similar ideas.

We did do a ride that day - out to the Ferry for an ice-cream, my son and his pal. Much easier on the way out than on the way back with that wind.

Shame you didn't see them all Jamie, there are a few in the centre of Dundee just now and 9th-11th September weekend they will be showing them all (95 of them) in Dundee's new Slessor Gardens, this is ticketed somehow though....
http://www.oorwulliebuckettrail.com/goodbye-event/

It didn't really matter TK, we had a good day out what with playing in the park and everything. Most likely Caleb enjoyed the variation more than just chasing from one artwork to another, especially as he really didn't have a clue about who the character was :) It was just a fun little guy that he has only seen in passing. They were much like the superlambanana in Liverpool that we hunted throughout the docks. To be honest, I think the train may have been the favourite :)

Jamie

edit** Here's some superlambananas
Well worth a look if down that way. They are similar in that there are quite a few dotted around the city. They too were auctioned off but a lot of people and organisations that bought them, then donated them back to the city to display.

DSC_1545 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2676 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1550 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Similar thing sharpen around here (Hull), we had Larkin's Toads a few back http://philiplarkin.com/larkin-with-toads/ and similarly auctioned off, probably for a lot less than they cost, and various are still dotted around.

This year we have Amy's Moths which are pretty good as they are stuck up on building and things, not just one thing the ground. They are also spread out much further.

http://amyjohnsonfestival.co.uk/moth-gallery/

Back