Onza HO - OH GO ON... want cleats? Or both...

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
UPDATE...let me know if you just want cleats....

Ones pedals come up now and again but usually without cleats or spare elastomers. These have both, and although used and with a weeny bit of play, the bearings are good. They were oiled regularly, which is what the inner phosphor bronze bushings need - a couple of drops of oil then a wipe each ride.

Personally I think HOs are great, and I have used them extensively. Never had weird releases or bad clip in, but I think that's because I used the right grade elastomers (there are four grades and I have them al here from clear (soft) to black (VV hard)). At 140 lbs I used the softest (clear) and they worked really consistently. I have a few of these and cleats and elastomers, they look cool in a 'terminator' kind of way, and look brilliant on American-based 1990 builds. And the only reason I am selling them is that I have gone over to flats and Cook Bros and don't want to run two cleat systems.

Prices seem vary wildly from 20 gbp worn out without cleats to 200 euros for NOS - bonkers. I think 35 per pair plus postage (which will be 3.10) but say otherwise if you think that's wrong PM for Dibs..

Attachments

• F2CFCE34-B52D-4A2F-87B6-0C1A92383A11.jpeg
    F2CFCE34-B52D-4A2F-87B6-0C1A92383A11.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 578
Re:

And here am I with 1 used set, 2 NOS sets, plenty of elastomers - but NO CLEATS!! :LOL: :LOL: :roll:

Good luck with the sale :D

Re:

bloody hell....just seen these....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114184273083

The price of them! And they aren't ti axles, I think that they are stainless....like the ones I have here. They fitted cro mo axles, which went rusty; ferritic stainless (which does attract a magnet); and ti. Most people think the stainless ones are ti....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

2manyoranges":3isx155f said:

The price of them! And they aren't ti axles, I think that they are stainless....like the ones I have here. They fitted cro mo axles, which went rusty; ferritic stainless (which does attract a magnet); and ti. Most people think the stainless ones are ti....

He is also selling a box of fibre flights for pretty penny. They were a nightmare to build with and very fragile. Cant imagine anybody actually would pay that for them not even for a shelf queen.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Interesting re cleats - a little bit of searching shows that an intuition about HO pedals is right ... heaps of pedals around the place and no cleats ANYWHERE.

The pedals of course always have been controversial and hotly debated. Some think that they were the downfall of Onza: see the interesting

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/20 ... -onza.html

But this is not the whole story. I used HO pedals in California-style conditions - dry, dusty, and they worked absolutely flawlessly - select the right elastomers and they were great. As I mentioned above, I used clear (soft) and my riding partner Ant used black (x hard) and we both ran them 365 days a year without problem. And we understood the bronze bushing, which wasn't 'fit and forget' but needed oiling frequently - just a drip, little and often, drip on, rotate, and wipe off. Done. One pair of mine did thousands of miles are still are perfect.

Now...

I thought it would be better to sell the pedals bundled with cleats and elastomers but if people have got pedals which they want to keep running I perhaps should be prepared to split - for the sake of the planet etc etc. If you want some cleats give me a PM ...

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":3moyhcuv said:

they look Ti axles, they also have the older end caps.
the Ti axles wore down on the oilite bearing, something that always needs checking before you buy.

still not long ago they sold for £20 max.

Re:

Fluffy - indeed they did. Ti axles not always a great thing in pedals - too flexy in some designs and at the high slow loads on pedals.

Re ONZA HO I have a variety of flat ends caps (flat slot) and domed (hex) - we were very early adopters since we were neurotic weight weenies - but it certainly is the case that the stainless look SO much like ti - certainly on photos and even in the flesh. I have quite a few cro mo and plenty of stainless.

But it’s true, they (the Austrian eBay set) could be ti rather than stainless...but at that price I’d expect platinum.

Just picking up on this.
I think I have all three styles of axles,
flat caps came later.

Ti have machine marks on them and steel don't, not sure if steel have the I'd ring them either.

Problem is I can't find my stash to check.

I used them all the time, pretty much until RetroBike.
I could easily use them as a flat pedal as they were comfy under foot in normal shoes and bunny hops easy enough. The skills gone now in the past ten years, but hey HO.
And i ran in the mud, winters and all sorts. I switched to HO's shortly after the 737 exploded, so grabbed some Ti models (domed ends) as soon as my paper rounds paid for them. So 93/4ish?
They have taken many a paper round, school, chuck bike on floor, drop offs, snow, road, commute and abuse. Think I changed the plates ones or twice.

Love them.

On to modern spd pedals as they're easy and cleats and all that, they're boring though, no character.

Sorry for digging up the old post, but using it for pricing.

Back