ONCE LOOK by pink glasses - no it's No. 060

Re:

The ONCE bikes were fitted out with MAVIC in the early 90s - until Alex Zulle's electronic gears failed him in a crucial time trial in the Tour of Spain (I think it rained not great for the ZAP electronic gear shifting!) - Manolo Saiz went nuts out went MAVIC and in came Shimano. I think for one year though they were using a mix of Shimano STI levers and deraileurs with the rest of the components coming from MAVIC.

My vote is for MAVIC, I think a starfish crank would look the business on this bike.

Looking forward to seeing this put together.

Regards,

Pat

yes indeed they used electronic ZAP in the beginning of 1996 season, but I say strictly NO - look at the pics of the 1996 TdF - this was in my opinion the race, where they used the pink Version only (normaly they used the classic yellow LOOK KG 171s) and they used it with a 8-speed Shimano Dura Ace.

for the Starfish incl. Mavic Groupset I think I 've found a better authentic project of a Plastic Probike Replica of 1992 which will start quite soon...

and for a real authentic ZAP Project (... first you have to have a proper ZAP-groupset) you take Romminger's Colnago Bititanio in darkgrey-white coulours, which he had thrown away during Giro d'Italia like Bjarne R. did it with his TT-bike in 1997 TdF

Re:

Yes, some of the Colnago bikes that Rominger rode when he was with CLAS were very pretty.
The Shimano will look great.
Looking forward to seeing those other projects you have in progress.

Regards,

Pat

Re:

Maybe my memory is going, but I don't seem to remember this sort of behavior in the early '90s

Riders throwing their bikes. It's just not necessary, and will p-ss off the sponsors, manager and mechanic.
Seems to happen more often these days.

More worrying though, so do fatal accidents in pro racing! :(

Sorry, off on a tangent then :roll:

So Dura Ace it is then :cool:

Mike

Re:

It's 7700 Dura Ace on those ONCE 96 Tour bikes. Shimano gave the new 9 speed groups to the teams in 1996 before releasing to the public in 1997.

Back