On One Parkwood

Re:

If you use Jon's method you'll need a week. :facepalm:

I got my Hope / Stans wheels from Merlin, and just got an almost identical set in 26" from the RB classifieds which will be going on the DeKerf this weekend, and I'll be using Stan's method not Jon's.

Re:

I have a theory on tubeless...well its my theory and is probably full of holes! (Like my tyres) Coomber you and NeilM won't have this problem. I think tubeless is for the lighter/average weight rider....When I ran tubeless tyres I went through so many ride ending punctures. I was 18stone 6 this time last year! (don't ask!) and now down to a slight 16 stone 9 now! :LOL: But since switching back to tubes I have had 1 or 2 punctures in the last 4-5 months. My theory is this. Tubeless works well at lower pressures. I was running 35-40psi rear and 30-35 front and just got a bunch of punctures. When I reduced the pressure I had too much tyre roll when cornering.

I have a mate at work who is a road rider and regularily rides out with a club and he said that the heavier riders suffer way more punctures too! It makes sense if you think about it in a mathmatical kinda way! More pressure on thinner tyre/tube = more prone to punctures!

Just my thoughts

Doug

Re:

Can't get tubeless to work and wasted two nights trying this week.

Onza tyre seems too loose to work? Leaking too much air. Took it to a garage to use their compressor and still wouldn't work. Seats ok but when remove hose it deflates straight away.

Give up? Build up rim tape? Try a different tyre?

Getting royally fed up trying. Know you had problems at mayhem with hours Doug that put me off until now!

That's a pain.

As I said above (sorry for the essay) I'm not convinced about tape and rim strips. A mate uses Stans rims and he seems to have more trouble than I do with the same tyres on UST rims.

Edit...or even below as my posts crossed.

I thnk rider finesse cones I to it too.

I was always pretty lucky with tubes and didn't suffer too many punctures. Even on my DH bikes I'd get away with running XC tubes to save some weight.

I'm a big fan of tubeless tyres but I don't run mega light tyres - Hans Dampf / Magic Mary / Mountain Kings all of which are around 700g each and as such have reasonable side walls. Pressure wise I run 20 to 25 psi and aside from a few dings in my rims I've got away with it.

I'm not convinced by the Stans tape solution at all. My Race a Face wheels use tape and a rim strip and were a pain to get set up...I also dont think they save much weight. My Easton UST rims on the other hand are brilliant. I've never needed more than a track pump to get my to get my tyres seated. I also thnk the Stans sealant is rubbish. My Conti sidewalls were a bit porus at first but the Stans sealant wouldn't seal them I switched to my usual JRA Wheel Milk and boom, tyres seated and held air. The downside is that it tends to dry out after a while, but it dies torm a thin, air tight layer on the inside of the tyre. Not great if you get s thorn in your tyre six months the later, but it works now.

Re: Re:

coomber":vg7rkp8z said:

Onza tyre seems too loose to work? Leaking too much air. Took it to a garage to use their compressor and still wouldn't work. Seats ok but when remove hose it deflates straight away.

Getting royally fed up trying. Know you had problems at mayhem with hours Doug that put me off until now!

To be fair mate you are far from my weight...are the Onza tyres tubeless specific? I have had problems with sloppy tyres not seating too....

Thanks mm. They are stock shimano mt55 not sure if they are actually tubeless but I've used loads of super sticky gorrila type tape and cut off valves to try. Stans sealant. I could understand not seating but if using a compressor thought they would sit on the rim and stay there. They were fine with tubes (facepalm)

Re: Re:

wookiee":34ag1wv8 said:
coomber":34ag1wv8 said:

To be fair mate you are far from my weight...are the Onza tyres tubeless specific? I have had problems with sloppy tyres not seating too....

Meant to be but dont say so on the tyre themselves. Have a storm control might try that sometime when I've calmed down :LOL:

Re:

This one could go on and on.

I have now done a pair of 29er wheels with Stans rims / tape and a pair of 26" wheels with Stans rims / tape, both using Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres. Both have been done with a track pump and both have gone up and stayed up.

BUT, and it IS a big but, I have had to mess about with tubes first, to seat the tape and to get the tyres up onto the bead, and with the 26" wheels it was a right PIA. I did the same with the 29'ers and both tyres went on first time no trouble, so whether the 26" rims or tyres gripped more or something I have no idea, but I got there in the end.

They are a bit of an experiment and I'll be interested to rack up some serious miles and then decide, but my son has done a lot of riding and several races on his 29'er, and so far so good, so, there maybe something in it.

Back