On no!

wookiee":1vw30c1a said:
Harryburgundy":1vw30c1a said:
I'm with you...hate rusty bolts...couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the weight ;-)

My reason too for recently replacing quite a few bolts! That and hopefully a bit harder wearing and less likely to round an allen head off!

You might be disappointed, titanium is a rather soft metal and you have to be quite gentle with the old allen keys.

Rob H":2ztk4riz said:
wookiee":2ztk4riz said:
Harryburgundy":2ztk4riz said:
I'm with you...hate rusty bolts...couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the weight ;-)

My reason too for recently replacing quite a few bolts! That and hopefully a bit harder wearing and less likely to round an allen head off!

You might be disappointed, titanium is a rather soft metal and you have to be quite gentle with the old allen keys.[/quote

Doh!

...im a big fan too, especially the blue and black finish ones. Shame red is not available. Oh, and the are a sod tk cut down to length.

I cured myself by simply replacing all the bolts on the bike that caught the disease with ti..... then I could not possibly buy ore ti bolts. Job done. You're welcome ;-)

Wait for the inevitable "I can't undo this bolt" post followed by "what's anti seize" and "I've never heard of galling, wots that then?"

;)

Ha ha...tbh I have never had any problem with ti bolts galling...seatpost/seat-tube, now that's a whole different ball game. Luckily is a remarkable conductor of heat as I found out heating a seat-tube whilst holding the head-tube!

Have some ti cup/cone washers for the brakes now...:)

Re:

I have too trodden the ti bolt path and actually found it a real ball ache.

For stem bolts, seat bolts, derailleur bolts etc fine but for brakes, especially disc brakes less so.

Why? Well for me I found swapping, adjusting/aligning disc brakes with ti bolts took its toll on the bolts as above. If you can be confident that their placement is relatively fit and forget then go with it, but for areas of tinkering SS is king.

Its also worth buying decent ti bolts.

All that said they do look nice ;-)

Back