Oldest mountain bike in UK?

Aye, we were at the first Wendover FTF bash, didn’t do the London Eastway; too far for my ‘64 Mini!! Also did Hay and Quantocks.
I don’t remember any ‘Tracker’ events back in the day. I built my Rory O’Brien tracker in the mid 1970s I guess, don’t think I have any pics unfortunately. I think they may have featured on Blue Peter or something??
There was a Boxing Day cyclocross event in Kenilworth woods that we spectated at, and a cycle speedway oval on Warwick common/racecourse where my step-Dad used to race. Apparently it was common to nip to the A&N stores to buy surplus BSA ‘Parabikes’; race ‘em and wreck ‘em and then go back for another!
Had a look through my Bicycle Action mags, unfortunately the event reports were not fantastically in depth. I chose to keep BA and got rid of my Bicycle and Bicycle Times (except the one with Carlton on his pink thing) mags. Guess I should have kept them all.
Do you remember the first Bicycle mag ‘Hard Ride’ mud fest!!?

Unfortunately, I don't recall 'first Bicycle mag 'Hard Ride' mud fest! - Though it sounds interesting and I have done quite a few of that type of ride in my time.

I was not personally aware of organised 'Tracker' bike events back in the 60s/70s. Though these appear to have been run alongside motor bike 'Scrambler' events for those who were too young to race on motorbikes. There is a podcast interview between Dale Holmes and Tim March, the British ‘1st Generation’ BMX rider (recorded in 2016) that recalls these events.

Link to the podcast and transcript here: Tracker Racing

Yes, most of the BA race reports were not 'in depth'. Especially the first 'Eastway' event, possibly because it was rainy and some sections of the course were un-rideable.

They did do a several page report on the first Wendover Bash, but in contrast the weather was sunny, the location photogenic and the courses though difficult were ridable. It was a smart move for BA to get Geoff Apps to design the courses as he had the experience to know what could be ridden and was used to taking part in motorbike trials events. Geoff says that due to Forestry Commission restrictions on course length, he based the XC races on cycle-speedway events with a few riders at one time competing in numerous knockout heats. over repeated loops of a short looping course. The MTB I raced was fitted with drop handlebars and gear shifters mounted on the stem. Not good for the fast gear changes required for off road racing.

I have read this whole thread this week and been fascinated by it. Reading about the history has sent me down a rabbit hole of threads and youtube video's about mountain bike history, tracker bikes, Geoff Apps, etc.

It also made me reflect on my own (lack of) knowledge about MTB history. I got into MTB's around 88/89 through reading MBUK and Mountain Biker magazines and the general MTB craze taking off at the time. I remember reading about the Repack guys and how that was the genesis of the MTB scene. I never recall seeing articles about the other strands of off-road riding history and innovators. The internet makes all the info much more accesible - and of course websites like this are an absolute goldmine of knowledge.

A couple of things struck me as I read this thread - particularly the story of the early MTB getting ridiculed at the York bike show in 81/82 and the different opinions on Geoff Apps' bikes:

1. Given that cycling can be so much fun, it has struck me how the cycling éstablishiment' in the UK in the 80's / early 90's seemed to be so 'stuck in its ways' and overly serious / traditional. Very rules-based and not open to new ideas and ways of thinking. Mountain Biking was a breath of fresh air - new and exciting!
I remember going to the York bike show in 91 on my MTB and it just seemed to be full of old farts on road bikes taking themselves way too seriously (having said that, I am probably an old fart myself now !!). There was hardly any MTB brands/stalls or anything there. I can totally see the appeal of the early MTB races in the UK before it got really serious - in the Youtube History of UK Mountainbiking video, one of the interviewees even says that the riders specifically wanted nothing to do with the UK cycling establishment. I can totally see why!

2. Reading about Geoff Apps kind of re-inforces the logic of having a bike that suits the type of riding you do and the terrain you cover. When I first saw the Apps bikes I thought they looked very weird, but having seen them being ridden and learning more about the function-led design principles, I have to say I admire Geoff's innovation. If I was riding regularly in claggy mud, an Apps bike would probably be the ideal tool for the job.

I'd like to say thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this thread. You have broadened my mind to what 'mountain biking' is, and the history behind it.

...I remember reading about the Repack guys and how that was the genesis of the MTB scene. I never recall seeing articles about the other strands of off-road riding history and innovators...
UK riders who started off on 'Tracker' bikes, moved onto BMX and then mountain bikes often regard the 'Tracker' bikes as the 'genesis' of modern mountain biking. I don't think it is surprising that they see the progression from; 'Tracker', BMX, mountain, bike as a continuum similar to that from 80's rigid steel MTBs to modern full-suspension variants. After all, its all about having fun off-road on a bicycle.

Whilst you are correct in saying that the Apps' bikes are, best suited to wet and muddy UK conditions, they are also great fun to ride on any surface because they are very manoeuvrable and easy to balance. MTB riders who try them are generally surprised by how well they handle and how comfortable they are. Whilst the experience is very different from riding an MTB, they basically do a similar job by different means.

I am lucky to have started mountain-biking in the mid 1980s and discovered how good the Apps' bikes were because I rode alongside them on my MTB. Its just a shame that, despite all the thousands of modern MTB variants, there is nothing similar to the Apps' bikes being made today for people to try out.

Last edited:
Just read the entire thread, nothing to add I'm afraid. My first involvement was not until late 87.
One of the most interesting things I have read in a longwhile.
So much knowledge and amazing memories.

Where is the "delete account" function on this site - i want to delete my account right ******* now? vdsgdgdfg dvdsfdsf

Latest posts

Back