Old style mechanical mileometers

I had one years ago, a little die cast box with a plastic star wheel actuated by a peg screwed on to the spokes, I remember I got about 100 miles on it before the bike fell over and it was destroyed. I think the cause of the crash was me watching the tenths of a mile tick over upto a good whole number I had as a target.

But back in '92, my bike hada Cateye Mity computer fitted to the bars along with various other gubbins including an old 'Adie' aluminium alloy ping bell, try finding one of them now, they are stupid prices and I have been looking for one. I used to have it under the bar on the left hand side where it could be activated easily if need be.

i currently use an electrickery one on the rear , trouble is because of the stay i have to space the sensor out and it only reaches a few inchs past the headtube . as its single speed i can work out the cadence with the gear and speed . highest so far was 130rpm at about 35mph on flat pedals . it was at 30mph but i just thought " pedal quicker " and managed the extra :LOL:

would be nice to have something simple that just kept track of the miles i can mount to the rear . the way ive got it at the moment is a bit cumbersome

i bet someone with the knowledge could make one of the mechanicals work with a magnetic dial so its silent

silverclaws":3dqgmmnf said:
I had one years ago, a little die cast box with a plastic star wheel actuated by a peg screwed on to the spokes, I remember I got about 100 miles on it before the bike fell over and it was destroyed. I think the cause of the crash was me watching the tenths of a mile tick over upto a good whole number I had as a target.

Getting warmer, but but the one I have in mind has no plastic, (all metal) and no ticking, sturdy little things.

The one I had as a nipper didn't even have a reset button, you had to wind it backwards to get to zero.

Somebody will know a source...

I had a chrome one on me old 5-speed racer. That clicking of pin on star-wheel would get mad annoying, son. I think the axle on the star-wheel got loose and that were that. Seriously though, like the penny farthing, they are best consigned to the past.

Anyway - Anyone got some lolly-ice sticks for my spokes? Must be the ones with the jokes printed on them.

J i m s t e r":2nn14cfy said:
I had a chrome one on me old 5-speed racer. That clicking of pin on star-wheel would get mad annoying, son. I think the axle on the star-wheel got loose and that were that.

Nearer the mark, but mine was completely silent and very well made. Neoprene tubing slipped over the pin would stop it clicking.

Seriously though, like the penny farthing, they are best consigned to the past.

Tsk! Shame on you Sir! Go and wash your mouth out with soapy water like that other heretic in the strait-jacket over in the corner.

The metal ones were made by Lucas and were advertised in all the best boys magazines of the day (Meccano Magazine etc.)

We didn't have neoprene in my day. A little length of valve rubber was used instead to stop the metallic ticking (go on, all you young whippersnappers, ask me what 'valve rubber' is!)

Old Ned":2a2pmtj1 said:
The metal ones were made by Lucas and were advertised in all the best boys magazines of the day (Meccano Magazine etc.)

Yes Lucas... There must be some still lying around somewhere.

Anybody?

Old Ned":150he1kz said:
A little length of valve rubber was used instead to stop the metallic ticking (go on, all you young whippersnappers, ask me what 'valve rubber' is!)

You mean the rubber from Wood's valves ??

Back