Old Hope brake servicing.

Good point about the air line. Mate lost one piston from his front brake, nearly losing an eye in the process.

Them did the same with the rear.
Daft bugger.

Re:

The pistons on the XC4s unscrew, the face of piston isn't flat so you can use tool to unwind them. You have to split caliper in half to do this and there are springs inside piston/caliper. http://web.archive.org/web/200504290035 ... _index.htm Do a search for more info, it's out there.
Bought a set off eBay years ago as my first set of hydraulic caliper disc brakes. Few months later they were leaking so got new seals but found that some effing monkey had used a pair of pliers to take out pistons that were then chewed up and been put back in like that. :facepalm:
And there are no spares available from Hope for them.

Ive a couple of the 4 pot pistons. But theres 2 calipers and i dont know which theyre for :?

Anyone know what the best thing to try unscrewing these pistons is?

I've tried needle nose pliers and I just don't think it's the right way, feels a bit sketchy on these delicate things.

Re:

Have you used penetrating fluid? No point in trying to turn them when they are held by corrosion. Needle-nosed pliers? :facepalm: Useless for this, use a piece of flat bar/strip of steel to bridge the full diameter of piston. It needs to fit in between the raised knobs on piston and it also needs clean square edges or you will just round off the knobs. No memory of which direction to turn, would have thought like normal right-handed threads but once turning it should be obvious which way for in or out.

Personally I'd just chuck them, save the levers, hoses and fittings though. I found they didn't have much power, compared to the V-brakes on another of my bikes, with the original tiny wee discs (150mm, 130mm?) so I used +20mm adapters with bigger discs, much improved.

If you must grip it to extract it ,i'd recommend elastoplast fabric ,couple of layers at least on the jaws of the moles, or anything that affords good protection and grip.
Fabric elastoplast is quite robust too

Not odd.

Possible the leading edge is corroded and its damaged the piston as youve pushed it out. Feel around the edge of the piston seat to see if theres any rough edges could have caused the damage :?

And send me a pic of both sides of it and a diameter, i could have a replacement for you.

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":1esid8nt said:
Personally I'd just chuck them, save the levers, hoses and fittings though. I found they didn't have much power, compared to the V-brakes on another of my bikes, with the original tiny wee discs (150mm, 130mm?) so I used +20mm adapters with bigger discs, much improved.

Shimano XT has replaced the XC4 :)

Back