Old decals - making them stick?

Re:

These are they:
images

Thanks, I personally would have said these were a water slide decal, this is possible why you had such a problem, did they have a carrier film over them or did you just have to lift it away from the backing paper?

There wasn't any backing paper or film as such, certainly not the same as I recall waterslide decals anyway. The decals were mounted on shiny card and had a clear top sheet. When the top sheet was peeled away (waterslide decals I've used in the past aren't stuck to the card), the decal came with it as you'd expect a normal decal to work, the decal itself sticky underneath. I thought with waterslide decals, the glue is only activated when water is added?

They are on now but if they do turn out to be waterslide, whilst they are on the frame is there anything to be done to help make sure they stay put?

Okay, confused :roll: They are on the frame anyway :)

Short of clear coating them and even them I think you will find them very fragile, just be careful around them ;)

Just found a set of Original GT decals that I have, basically they should have had a paper application tape over the face of the decal, this is enough to lift the decal away from the backing paper to reveal the adhesive back of the decal, this is rubbed down on the frame and the application tape removed leaving the decal in place

The paper application tape is prone to going off with time, so I would guess the seller has removed it to improve the look of the decal when selling it, it should have had the tape applied before being supplied to you, to help you fit them

They should be more durable than a waterslide but over time the glue deteriorates and hardens, if you warm them up a little the glue should soften and improve a little

Basically leave it next to a radiator overnight and them just give them one last "careful" rub onto the frame, cover with a sheet of paper and work over the image with your thumb applying even pressure

Hope this helps :)

Cheers Gil. They did have the clear top sheet and everything was pre-cut so I don't think they were anything but as they left the printers. I did heat them up before application and they went on much more easily/well came off without leaving bits of the decal on the top sheet.

I've had a few older gt decals like the ones you've decried a well, they have generally been OK. I'll probably give them a blast of heat again to make sure they are stuck down as best as they can be.

Back