Old bicycle parts? Where do you get them?

sisyphus

Retro Guru
Im just wondering where people find parts and spares for their bike restorations? Ebay being an obvious source and Ive found a good( if pricey) french source and indeed this place is good for that. But are there other places people find bike parts??

I generally buy my parts second hand. Ebay, classifieds, jumbles, car boots, you name it.

One of the best sources is to buy complete bikes. Sometimes when you need a particular part it can be worth buying a complete bike for that part. For some reason people sell parts at high prices and complete, but tatty, bikes for pennies. The great thing about this is that you can often sell the parts you don't want for more than you paid for the bike. The problem a lot of people have with this method is that it ends up very expensive because they find they end up restoring the bike they just bought as a donor as well as the bike they already have. The biggest issue being that they never finish restoring anything because they end up with fifty "donor" bikes all of which need restoring. ;)

Ebay usually, but damn it starts to clock up after a while.

Like what Gareth said, the sum of a few parts is usually more than what a whole bike would cost, but then you end up with another project on your hands :D

Ebay and through my website.

Ive picked up a number of Carltons from owners wishing them to go to a good home.

Lemond Fan":2fbb04m4 said:
Also try

campyoldy - Nigel Smith

or

Universal Cycle Centre Dave Marsh and his daughter Kathryn

Two very good suppliers.

HLloyds have some good old stuff from time to time as well as their excellent decals.

Bear in mind that most council dumps won't let you take anything away for a number of reasons. The biggest of which is that they have to meet government targets for the weight of waste recycled. Anything recylable, like metal they can melt down, will be weighed in.

Tour de ville, Lamb lane, London. OR
Whiskers, Welwyn garden city.
The first can be a bit on the expensive side but a good range of choise and the second has various older parts, if you know what you want phone and ask. They had some 24" tubs that i have been searching for for ages.

Back