Old battered 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

yeti_bomb

Senior Retro Guru
I was fortunate a friend of mine actually had a 1991 Blizzard in my size and not his. He was willing to part with it and I have my favorite year Blizzard. She is quite worn but still very solid. Right I'm piecing together parts. Not going to be a period correct restore. But will be mostly early to mid 90s stuff. Early red matching Raceface cranks and stem. The big thing holding me back is a fork. Considering a Surly fork but still shopping around.

Going to be a fun bike that I plan on riding a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 990
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 990
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 990
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 990
i have a few spare RM tange forks… just not sure if any have steerer long enough for your frame/head tube size. send me a PM if interested. ;)

Re:

Thanks for the offer i might take you up on that. Right now I'm planning on threadless. The head tube is five inches long. I really want to use a old matching Raceface System stem that I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 971
i have collected quite a few of those XY posts, two with the red hardware like yours. though i only managed to use one on my RM 2003 ETSX-70, so not sure why i've collected so many. :roll:

Re:

Yea I have been buying some up. By far my favorite post but I'm a raceface junky. Never understand why they stopped producing them.

Yes, 91 was a great year for the Blizzard! Raceface makes some pretty solid parts and it will look good with matching Raceface controls up front.
The Tange Struts work well with this bike. I'm pretty sure they made some threadless ones in the mid 90s.
Good luck with the build!

Very Nice =)

I also have a massive collection of Race Face / Syncros parts =)

I have several Rocky Mountain forks incase any of RockiMtn's steers are too short... One already has threads cut in it...

I would suggest going threaded with a syncros quil stem... =)

Re:

Hard for me to imagine not using threaded. As a old school downhiller I was pretty happy in 1992 when I got my first bike with a threadless set up. Just made me a bit more confident in my bike. Have some old memories/nightmares of the fork going in a different direction than the handlebars. Same goes for non-loc grips. Nothing like a grip popping off during a high speed jump and grabbing bare metal on a rough landing. Some stuff you never get over I guess...

Attachments

• IMG_4170 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4170 - Copy.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_4193 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4193 - Copy.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 851
shutter":28gndwe6 said:
Very Nice =)

I also have a massive collection of Race Face / Syncros parts =)

I have several Rocky Mountain forks incase any of RockiMtn's steers are too short... One already has threads cut in it...

I would suggest going threaded with a syncros quil stem... =)

Wish I had kept my spare parts ... Had quite a few good Syncros pieces.

Love the cranks on this Yeti. Wish I had pulled the trigger on a set of Race Face cranks back in the day instead of the Shimano ones I have.

I'm partial to early 90's Rocky's so I agree this is a beaut.

Latest posts

Back