Official recommended or not paint-shop thread.

Re:

Been asked to post this up by someone on STW.

"mick_r - Member
Sounds like we've got most of the NW covered (forgive the pun).

chestrockwell - I can't just find my retrobike login, so could you add Fastline Preston to your top dogs list- especially as they helped out on this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -stw-story.

And Superior Powder Coatings, Leyland need to go in the doghouse section. They managed one good job (the original STW oversize balance bike) but have screwed up everything else since - Ripples in finish and flaked / fell off one frame. Massive sags and drips on every downward facing edge on another. I gave up on them after that....."

Re:

Top dogs for powder and blasting. Sunbase Swindon

e87c61096f04e766a6c9d7a70e6a7162_zps5b1eacb5.jpg

991c69600acc23e0ae671ae23ab26cf3_zps7603e9d0.jpg

G Bevan Coatings Ltd
Chunal Works, Charlestown, Glossop, Derbyshire SK13 8LF

I used these guys for my Marin frame, they did a reasonable job of the actual work, the coating was nice and smooth finish with virtually no blemished and no sagging or gaps. My only problem was that they didn't protect the threads for the BB, brake bosses and mech hanger so I spent a while cleaning them out afterwards. Might be my fault for not asking nicely, or perhaps they don't do many bikes. They quoted "£40-60 depending how difficult", I sent them a fairly scabby stripped down frame in two pieces and they did the job for £50.

Website looks down at the mo but heres the link: www.gariebevancoatings.co.uk/

Re:

I'll hold off putting them in the dog house Rick because as you say, the job was reasonable and they might not have known you expected them to cover those parts.

If anyone else has any experience of them I'll post them up.

secret_squirrel":19dcrak3 said:
+1 more for Armourtex - nice bunch and they turned my frame around inside a week. £90 for a sparkle finish including several headset spacers and a set of pedal bodies. They also masked off every one of the dozen or so threads on my frame ranging from brake boss threads to chain suck plate threads.

0FF36139-AF5C-4698-8270-2745DE7CE0AC-3394-00000760EB79D799_zpse4f370df.jpg

Just to note that Armourtex now seem to be able to deal with applying decals on top of powdercoat and then doing a lacquer finish on top, which they didn't offer before.

Not used them for this service (yet!) but their powdercoat jobs are v good (I've had five frames done there and all been great).

They're already on the top dog list, but I'd like to add a hearty recommendation for Yorvik Engineering.

They did an excellent job on the candy/metallic purple on my R20:

Powdercoating%2B%25281%2529.JPG

Including powdercoating over chrome forks and also doing the hinge handle and dust caps for me in the same colour.

Tim is really knowledgeable and helpful too.

Powder & Paint in East Cottingwith, York have done a fab job on a Kona Explosif, Kona Lava Dome, Orange P7 and Spesh Stumpy FSR for me. £30 for a standard gloss, satin or matt finish and I have seen lovely looking frames in various sparkle finishes hanging next to mine upon collection. Not sure of prices for these. Price of £30 includes removal of the existing paint job.

I live in Sheffield and work in York so anybody in my locale who wants to try them can do so and I will be happy to taxi your frame there and back (but not pay for the job itself!).

Re:

Just had another frame and forks done by LSN on Castleford - they are still fantastic and very cheap. Good to know standards are being kept up!

Back