Off Road Road Bike

Wheelnut":1nnhujh6 said:
Would disagree with the mudguards comment though. Best without them. They can be a liability if anything gets caught in them. My brother ended up with a broken collarbone when a piece of wood caught in the mudguard and he went straight over the handlebars. Also, they clog up with mud too easily.

I understand why you wouldn't want to run one, but as this bike is French and oldish it could easily have a French headset. Very, very hard to find.

I knew someone who was killed by a mudguard stay. It's vital to use one of these:

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/sks- ... e=googleps

If the headset is french then I'll do the mtb bodge of placing a section of inner tube over the crown race/lower cup to prevent ingress of grit, water etc and regrease frequently. I am finding I quite like these 38mm wide tyres so guards will not be fefitted just yet. I also have an English threaded fork as a back up so a non french headset can be fitted ;)

I'm also a recent member of the RSF but have no plans to ride with the 'vagabonds' in Scotland, they're just a wee bit too hardcore for me :LOL:

Back