Odd Race Face Turbine Cranks

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
This is one of my sets of Turbines, not currently in use. They came to me as part of a gifted GT from a work friend a few years ago. He told me that he knew someone at Race Face and these were given to him BITD.

They contain a few odd features compared with others I own: the NDS arm hasn't any weight saving machining along the edges, both arms graphics are a little bit below typical Race Face standards (not as sharp as they usually are), drive side arm has the logo added on the inside of the arm as well as outside along with "Custom Laser Marked by Chem-Etch Stamp"

Anyway, thought I'd share, possibly an early set off the line? Prototype? They came to me with one granny bolt thread stripped. I was successful adding a heli-coil and next size up bolt so they are very usable with some nice patina on the right future build

20230101_214206845_iOS.jpg
20230101_214257414_iOS.jpg
20230101_214323569_iOS.jpg

I seem to remember BITD that the black RF without the machining on the sides denoted downhill. I might be wrong but the logic might make sense? I’m sure someone would know better than me but this could have been something I picked up in my days hanging out in my local bike shop as a young grommet.

I seem to remember BITD that the black RF without the machining on the sides denoted downhill. I might be wrong but the logic might make sense? I’m sure someone would know better than me but this could have been something I picked up in my days hanging out in my local bike shop as a young grommet.
Yes (or later in 2003ish it may have been OEM or standard LP models too)

But these look a mich mash on practice fun.

Last edited:
I think they are pre-run/prototypes and you have a sample product during the logo etching phase of production. The inscription is telling the observer the processes of how the logos were finished into the anodyzing. The last photo states the procedure. The actual logo was done inaccurate either by the computer or the jig but primarily to test the process on the metal.

I think they are pre-run/prototypes and you have a sample product during the logo etching phase of production. The inscription is telling the observer the processes of how the logos were finished into the anodyzing. The last photo states the procedure. The actual logo was done inaccurate either by the computer or the jig but primarily to test the process on the metal.
Chem-Etch & Stamp (of Canada Ltd) is the company, has some link to Millennium Signatures or something now.

Back