Obsolete brake cable barrel?

Wolstan Dixie

Retro Newbie
I have a 1974 bike (the make is irrelevant) and a brake cable snapped at the lever, it had frayed through. In trying to source a replacement, which one would have thought was a simple matter, I have encountered an unexpected problem.

The fixing into the brake lever is a 'barrel' cast onto the end of the cable. By 'barrel' I mean a cylinder of metal whose long axis is at right angles to the cable, which penetrates the diameter of the cylinder in the centre. I bought a replacement cable which, from the photograph, had a similar barrel. But when I came to fit it found the barrel was too small, so small in fact that it could not be 'hooked' by the lever housing. It was both a smaller diameter and a smaller length. The lever is not a solid casting, but a U shaped pressing, so the barrel is bearing only on its ends in circular holes in the pressing. It only needs to be 3? mm shorter and the ends don't bear.

I need a barrel 8mm in diameter and 10 mm long (or I presume the nearest imperial equivalents). I cannot believe that my bike was made with a unique cable barrel design, it surely used standard components, so it appears that sometime in the past the standard barrel dimensions were changed. If so it seems unlikely I am the first to encounter this problem?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I once had a cable with a small 'barrel' which came with a plastic sleeve that fitted round the barrel so it would fit MTB levers. You might find some plastic tube that could be used to make one?

I once had a cable with a small 'barrel' which came with a plastic sleeve that fitted round the barrel so it would fit MTB levers. You might find some plastic tube that could be used to make one?
Yes , I was wondering about something along the same lines but using copper pipe. Wouldn't plastic (a) yield and (b) crack? If this larger size exists then I obviously would much rather find an example - the trouble is no seller of brake cables gives the dimensions of their barrels, or in fact physically describes them at all. What would what I want be called?

I am astounded that there has not been a general chorus of 'Oh yes, that's a common problem'. I assumed that any bike with cable brakes pre 1974 would be using these larger barrels. Mine is a Pashley, could they really have been casting their own atypical barrels onto their brake cables - it seems very unlikely. IMG_4143[1].JPG IMG_4144[1].JPG

Can I ask anyone with a 1970 or earlier bike to measure their brake cable barrel so I have some idea of what was being used please?

Rob: It is a rim brake, but the other one is a Sturmey Archer hub - I was wondering if I could canabalise a SA hub cable. But what makes you think that one has a larger barrel - there is no information given and you can barely see it in the photo?

Midlife: No, it's a Pashley Picador trike.

Midlife: No, it's a Pashley Picador trike.
My wife has one of those. We had a pain trying to find new cables. Sorry, but can't remember where we finally found them.

One tip...don't bother with Pashley. They are worse than useless. Wouldn't sell to general public, and dealers had a minimum order value of £300.

My wife has one of those. We had a pain trying to find new cables. Sorry, but can't remember where we finally found them.

One tip...don't bother with Pashley. They are worse than useless. Wouldn't sell to general public, and dealers had a minimum order value of £300.
AH! That explains them not answering two query emails!

Back