NWA: Macclesfield Forest - 31/01/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll check out the planned route as promised this week. However I have worked out good back up route which I know is all currently rideable, so we'll go ahead with the ride even if it isn't the route I'd originally planned.
It'll be a good excuse to put on another ride later in the year though, perhaps even when the trails are dusty.
I'm looking forward to whichever route we do on Sunday.
Bring your lowest gears though...

I've been out again this afternoon looking at some of the originally planned route sections. Unfortunately as I suspected, Charity Lane still requires 4 hours and a mini-digger to get through successfully.
The problem is it's a sunken track which filled with drifting snow at the start of January. Now it's become a partially frozen mass which is unrideable and very difficult even to walk on. I reckon Rick Draper is right when he says it'll take until March to thaw.
It's a shame because it's one of the best descents in the area.

As for the higher sections opposite the Cat & Fiddle Inn, well you've guessed it; still alot of snow. The original route requires some road sections which link up several good lengthy off-road sections. Of course if all the off-road sections are unrideable it turns into an pleasant road ride interupted by unpleasant walking pushes. :roll:

So plan B it is. A fully rideable 12 mile loop with a 5 mile extension for anyone still feeling fit enough to bypass the pub for an extra hour.

In answer to your bike question Ed. Bring whichever one slows you down on the climbs and the downhills, so that we have a chance to keep up. ;)

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday. :D

Don't think I'm going to be able to make it on Sunday, I've got a old Biking buddy visiting.

I might see you if you pass the top off the DH track.

The Dekerf is all nice and shiney at the moment but its eager to get some dirt on it ! Maybe see you in the forest then stally lad ;)

orange71":1pc7jhp3 said:
You were after a roll call:

me
you
Mr K

who else? :D

Me
You
Mr K
Woody
Sinnett177
rc200ti
Stally (you know it makes sense... ;) )

I thought a few more of the East Midlanders were coming Ed? Rob for instance?

EDIT: Added Rob to the list.

I didn't make it out today so i'm hungry for a blast on Sunday. Not alot of choices as of what bike to ride, as all but one are at the powder coaters! Dyna-Tech it is then.

Yes I'll be with you. Food and drink for me too please.
Khane was coming along but wont be able to make it after all.

See you on Sunday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back