not very helpful ebay seller - US to UK postage content

suburbanreuben said:
I'm not sure as marking it as "used" makes any difference. If it's being imported into this country for the first time, then VAT and duty is payable on current value, whether gift, used, or whatever.

Mmm, right you are actually. Im not entirely sure what dark recess of my brain came up with that one!

Thanks guys, the general opinion seems to be that $100 should comfortably cover the postage cost and I accept that the seller is within his rights to charge extra for packaging, fuel costs etc.

Could up being a costly purchase......

About $75 using USPS Priority Mail International.
Box must be less than 108" Length plus Girth (Girth = 2xHeight plus 2xWidth).
Seller will most likely have to cut down a bike box to get it within those dimensions, and that takes a bit of time.
I'd only be wary if seller's feedback is less than 100% positive, or if feedback score is a low number.
Check his feedback and be reassured if you see more than a few comments like "well packaged", "careful packing", etc.

As an indication of what to expect when HMRC get hold of your item this side of the Pond, today I went to collect something from the PO that had 'incurred a charge...'

The sender had labelled it up with a value of $31.01, or £19.73 at the current Exchange Rate; I had to pay another £11.81 to get my hands on it!

That was just £3.81 VAT plus the Royal Mail International Handling Fee of £8; anything with a combined purchase price + shipping of £135 ($212.21) or more also incurs Import Duty.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... lculation/

You have may have another option, although it involves a bit more effort on your part. If the seller will identify the city/town they are in, you can reseach a nearby LBS, contact them, and coordinate shipping arrangements thru them. Seller delivers detailes photos to you, you contact LBS and make arrangements for shipping, seller delivers the bike to the LBS, LBS packages it for shipment, shipment made.

The advantage is that you get to work with a LBS that actually knows how to pack a bike for shipment. A bit more effort, and possibly more risk. as the LBS is your proxy, not the sellers. Might be worth consideration if making sure that the bike is properly packaged for international shipment is important to you.

And in rereading your original post, shipping from California, you might try reseaching Cambria Bikes as a LBS to work thru. My current project came out of California and I used them to ship it here to Michigan. I took the time to spell out in an E-mail what was coming, and what I was after from them shipping-wise. Worked well.

Back