BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I'm sure there a numerous threads in the depths of the forum but I was hoping that someone could give me an approximate postage cost of a frame and forks from the US (California) to the UK?

I have sent a few messages to the seller and he is not being particularly helpful about postage costs despite the fact that the winning bidder will be shelling out a substantial sum to secure the frameset. He has said that the rate quoted in his listing is an estimate and I have tried explaining that I really need a maximum cost at least in order to put in a realistic bid and would ideally like an exact cost (I'm not sure where I stand with eBay when a shipping cost has been stated in the listing and the seller then asks for more?).

Is it too much to ask that a seller of a pretty expensive item be a bit more helpful when replying to questions......

daugs":1isifqp3 said:
don't forget customs duty, VAT, vat on duty, duty on vat etc etc

Customs is what it is. It's the actual postage cost I'd like to get a rough idea of.

I had a frame and fork sent over from Cali a couple of month's ago mate (OK, it was sent to Denmark, but
still ;) ), no more than $75 with USPS - as long as the box is the correct size, which isn't really a problem with just frame and fork :D

$100 dollars should cover lightweight frame/fork and a few bits if sent via usps and assuming the package is no larger than a standard frame box. Actual cost is probably about $80 but bear in mind its a big country and the seller may have to travel a fair way to ship it. If I want something bad enough I usually offer the seller a chunk more that it will cost and point out to them that the change will buy them a box of beer, that usually clinches it. Bear in mind though that you will pay tax and duty on the price including shipping, also make sure the seller marks the item as used as it will save you a chunk of £££'s.
What is the value of the frame?

futuristicoldman":3seigdxb said:
$100 dollars should cover lightweight frame/fork and a few bits if sent via usps and assuming the package is no larger than a standard frame box. Actual cost is probably about $80 but bear in mind its a big country and the seller may have to travel a fair way to ship it. If I want something bad enough I usually offer the seller a chunk more that it will cost and point out to them that the change will buy them a box of beer, that usually clinches it. Bear in mind though that you will pay tax and duty on the price including shipping, also make sure the seller marks the item as used as it will save you a chunk of £££'s.
What is the value of the frame?

I'd say the value is somewhere in the region of £500 but not too sure....

If it gives you an idea how much you may get stung when it lands I just took delivery of a frameset which was marked with a value of $500 and an actual shipping cost of $85 (it was not specified as used), I got a bill for £105.

I'm not sure as marking it as "used" makes any difference. If it's being imported into this country for the first time, then VAT and duty is payable on current value, whether gift, used, or whatever.

If the seller isn't too keen to send, a few days with no bids might help him change his mind. It's also worth pointing out that the only extra hassle he's going to incur over shipping internally is a couple of minutes on the customs declaration.

You could check prices yourself on Fedex, USPS, UPS etc websites using a local zip code.

sent a frame and forks recently from south dakota to the uk for $65 and the best I found was their postal service ..usps

Back