Not Such A Tired Old '91 Zaskar- Job Done! Pics Page 6 & 7

abr303

Retro Guru
I've been toying for some time with the idea of doing a retro build and thought I'd start a resto/re-build thread going here to track my progress and share with you guys after recently acquiring a very sorry looking and tired old Zaskar. It came into the workshop for a bit of tlc but with a long list of issues and the customer with limited funds decided to pass up and was going to bin her....! :facepalm:

I'd always wanted a Zaskar back in the day so on a whim and not really knowing what the outcome would be I offered to buy it hoping I could at least salvage the frame if nothing else......

Seized headset, brake and gear cables rusted solid, mechs seized, rough hubs, perished elastomers in the Pace forks etc were just the tip of the iceberg.... :shock:

So after my initial purchase, it was time to check things out and see what could be done. According to the frame stamp on the dropout, it turns out that this is an early '91 frame which was cool. Loved the fact it had the old U-brake too so I didn't take long stripping it down and having a good look round the welds for cracks etc. Luckily the seatpost came out quite easily and so did the bottom bracket :p Minor little nicks and dings, some chain suck scuffs on the chainstay and the frame tubes suffering from oxidization and pitting but the welds were all cool :cool:

So it was on with polishing the frame...... Started with 240 grit wet & dry working through 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 finishing off with 2000 grit...... Time consuming for sure and had to do it over a few evenings but all totally done by hand :D

I did start to use autosol but wasn't totally impressed and found it a tad too abrasive so ended up using White Diamond (dearer but well worth it) in the end. Brilliant stuff and with a built in sealant too :cool:

Finishing with the 2000 grit.....

Very happy with the results for now as I've not done anything like this before but really looking forward to moving things on with the build...... :cool:

Re: Breathing New Life Into A Tired Old '91 Zaskar - Pic Heavy

Has this bike been posted elsewhere? There is something familiar about it. Nice work by the way. I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Lhatch4":2s6xhu4n said:
Has this bike been posted elsewhere? There is something familiar about it. Nice work by the way. I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Cheers, yes I put a video up on the UK MTB Golden Era 80's & 90's (facebook) recently..... slowly building up some nos and used bits and pieces which I'll put up soon. Still need a few things so progress will depend on that really :)

Wow, amazing job on the wet'n'dry. It's come up like new.
Lhatch4":37qfd4bn said:
Yup, there's one or two Zaskar on here! :LOL:

I remember now. I mentioned in your previous post that it will need a cable guide for the rear U-brake. Have you had any luck finding one?

Lhatch4":37kpwohj said:
I remember now. I mentioned in your previous post that it will need a cable guide for the rear U-brake. Have you had any luck finding one?

Thanks, yes hopefully one making its way over from a member on here from Germany. If no joy, I might be in touch.... :LOL:

Good work.
There's something I find cool about early zaskars with the U-brake/black decals.

Wow... is what I thought when I saw that handiwork.

If mine turns out anything like that i'll be super happy.

Were the stickers trouble to peel and keep in tact? How are you going to glue them back on?

lazyrabbit":2e2g2wgs said:
Wow... is what I thought when I saw that handiwork.

If mine turns out anything like that i'll be super happy.

Were the stickers trouble to peel and keep in tact? How are you going to glue them back on?

Thanks :cool: All I'd advise is to be patient and take your time rubbing down and be thorough.... the end result will be worth it :D As for the decals/stickers...... the main originals had long gone but the seat tube and down tube ones left (original retailer shop logo on down tube) I didn't bother to keep as they were real tatty plus I've already a new replacement set to go on courtesy of Gil :p

The Syncros stem will be my next victim on the polishing front then I'll apply some fresh decals to it :D

Back