Not all independent shops are good

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":9phqnktj said:
mattr":9phqnktj said:
FluffyChicken":9phqnktj said:
Buy online or at the shop and do it yourself.
That bike shop can't be crap then.
Oh it can........ many times i've had to sort out problems caused by customers........
That's not a bike shop being crap, they only have themselves to blame and can't moan about it.
Of course it usually done with screw drivers, hammers and blocks of wood.
And that's just the chain ;-)

Listen...............

many is the time a hammer has helped me out of frustration :)

dyna-ti":96cjl9qh said:
FluffyChicken":96cjl9qh said:
Buy online or at the shop and do it yourself.
That bike shop can't be crap then.
More satisfaction doing it yourself, and specific or difficult tasks you can always take it to a shop. At least whatever it is they have the tools to do it.

I have listened to a lot of people here and whilst I am not a mechanic I am pleased to say that THANKS to the help I have had from people here I have now had the confidence to

Replace my sons and my brake pads
Fully adjust our seats properly
Fit new front and rear disk brakes
Clean and lubricate the chain and all parts

Yes I know it is a laugh, not much to people here but until I joined beyond me

Thanks

Robertson73":ecqz39i2 said:
Many years ago I purchased an X Lite Chris Peat stem from Halfords.
I didn't trust them with the relatively small job of removing the old stem, adding a few spacers, and then fitting the new stem, so I thought I'd ask my local bike shop to fit it instead.

What a waste of time !!!
I was told by my lbs,that they would not fit my new stem because I had not purchased it directly from them,and because of this, they were not insured to do so !!!!!

It's safe to say, I wasn't terribly impressed with the excuses that I was given and promptly left the shop, never to return.

In my experience,Halfords service may not be the best,
but sometimes independent local bike shops are far worse !!!
Sounds eminently sensible to me, avoiding a world of potential pain in the event of any issues. BITD i worked for a few shops who wouldn't entertain fitting stuff they didn't sell. As soon as there is any damage, or a failure, they end up carrying the can for something they didn't sell (and might not stock) not so common now, as everything is bought on line, so they factor it into labour cost etc.

And, as an aside i'd not touch such an obviously fake X-Lite stem. Halfords must have seen you coming.

Back