NOS or not NOS that is the question ??

Iit madden's me when searching for a campagnolo hub a shimano comes up with "not campagnolo" in the title. And why does a Deore DX headset need Ringle in the title? It is not a Ringle item at all. The title should describe what the item is and that's it. I hate additional terms not related to item to try and attract attention like fixie. Everything is a bloody fixie.

Also Vintage to describe a record Ti front hub I don't think so, it is no were near old enough to be "vintage".

This may confuse the issue further - these cranks are NOS (new old stock) NIB (new in box) -

These hubs are sorta NOS and NIB except they were removed from the box, fitted into a wheel, never ridden, removed from the wheel and returned to the box - that would be NOS NIB RFB FIW NR RFW RTB. Send that to Bletchley Park!!!

I can see Ian's point though. I HAD an NOS NIB 600 stem which i fitted to my Van Tuyl. If i sold it now, i could not say NOS NIB as there is one mark on it. I could lie and say it was shop soiled though... pondering that!

Richard

GITANE80":3k5pw8un said:
An example which miffs me off, is someone selling re manufactured Dia comp MX brakes and they found an old used card
and stick it above the new brakes which is clearly new stock with an old Dia comp card from the 80's no plastic either :facepalm:
This does my head in too and my mate was got bit with a similar thing!

He purchased a NOS 1980's Selle TURBO saddle and the ebay picture
showed the vintage box and not too close photo's of the saddle,
when he got the saddle he was chuffed to bits but then I told him the
saddle is one of those re-issue jobs as it doesn't have the three bars on
the sides next to the name turbo, I turned the saddle over and showed him
the date of 2012!! He was enraged over this and what did him the most that
he paid £95 for a so called vintage saddle which can actually be purchased for
just £35. Box was an original 80's creased item though....lol

TGR":3k5pw8un said:
This may confuse the issue further -
These hubs are sorta NOS and NIB except they were removed from the box, fitted into a wheel, never ridden,
removed from the wheel and returned to the box - that would be NOS NIB RFB FIW NR RFW RTB. Send that to Bletchley Park!!! Richard
So was the hubs *actually* built up then mate ? No way are these NOS but second-hand

Maybe the only term that should be used is new. New means new and nothing else. New but shop soiled can be indicated. Straight forward selling should be the norm.

It is sometimes difficult to tell whats what.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ian,

You have proved your point well with those links, again, i am trying hard not to swear. Silly people should be penalised for those ads, it would be interesting to start a claim with ebay as the item was not as described!!!

Re the DA AX brakes, the pads do not look like the right one for the brakes - is it my eyesight or does it look like a Stanley knife has assisted their insertion?

Richard

TGR":3o224mh8 said:
Re the DA AX brakes, the pads do not look like the right one for the brakes - is it my eyesight or does it look like a Stanley knife has assisted their insertion? Richard
Richard! The blocks look like modern day 7800 blocks which have been cut down to fit,
that was one main problem with Shimano back in the 80's, you could buy the whole set
but if something broke or worn out, you just couldn't get spares so you made do by bodging.

Those so called NOS callipers has evidence they have been fitted and used,
note the marks on the below picture[circled] this was caused when you pinched
the brake arms and lifted out the cable adjuster, then refitted in reversal and most
of the time folk tried just too hard to fit them so banged the cable hanger on the alloy part.

22447c25-7b01-4a81-980d-5d59434d873b_zps807d470a.jpg

Ian,

I was right - ONCE TODAY! lol

Oddly - the black circle on your pic looks like someone had drawn it on my laptop screen - please don't do it again, i get very annoyed about damage to the lappy!!!

Richard

I think the whole NOS thing is subjective. I have a pair of campagnolo super record brake levers from the 60s which are in immaculate condition. The box has greasy finger and hand prints all over it, plus some on the levers. I would class this as straight up NOS with fingermarks on them, not shop soiled. But as I open the box more to look at them are they slowly turning to used?

To complicate things more when do things go from NIB to NOS? I always thought when production was ceased..

James

Retrotrack - have a look at the links Ian Raleigh posted. There is no way they are NOS or even close - well, that is my opinion.

Richard

Back